Engineering and Computer Science
On this Summer Abroad Program, you can:
- Earn 6 quarter units in 6 weeks.
- Enroll in UC Davis courses to fulfill degree, major, minor, or GE requirements as listed in the General Catalog.
- Earn academic credit while gaining valuable work experience.
Note to Non-UC Davis Students:
- Students from other campuses should consult with their home campus to determine whether courses may be used to fulfill their specific academic requirements.
- Semester students who will apply for Summer Financial Aid can get an additional unit to meet unit minimums for financial aid eligibility. Please contact Summer Abroad for additional information.
Draft syllabus (PDF)
You will enroll in the course set below. Expand the sections to view course descriptions. Auditing is not an option. UC Davis programs are academic programs so participants should expect a substantial amount of course work.
- Education Abroad (EAP) 192. Internship (4 units)
- Students will intern 25-30 hours per week at their program site and will be able to apply for transcript notation through the UC Davis Internship and Career Center.
- Engineering (ENG) 198. Directed Group Study: Engineering Internship Reflection (2 units, P/NP grading only)
- Writing for Internships: This 2-unit course is intended as a forum to connect the work students do at their internship to its broader social and cultural context. Through online discussions students will have a community with whom to share their reflections and observations about their internship placements and to explore the significance of interning in an international context. This course includes participation on excursions and tours and attendance to guest lectures. Students are often asked to write reflective pieces. Assignment topics vary by program. GE credit: AH, WE
Along with the general eligibility requirements, Study Abroad will be enforcing the completion of the following prerequisites. For non-UC Davis students, the equivalent at your campus:
Prerequisite(s): Upper division standing.
Prerequisites can only be waived by individualized consent of instructor—please contact the instructor if you wish to discuss this option. Please note that you will be required to submit proof of prerequisites waived when submitting your enrollment. Failure to complete unwaived prerequisites prior to program departure can result in administrative withdrawal and fees owed accordingly.
8 units or more engineering and/or computer science coursework prior to departure is recommended (not required).
Note: This program is designed for engineering or computer science/IT students. All enrolled students will be placed in an internships Students with relevant experience and a GPA over 2.5 may have more placement options or an internship role with greater responsibility than students without experience or a lower GPA.