Whether you approach the issue from an academic, professional, or personal perspective, studying abroad is one of the best decisions you can make during your undergraduate career. UC Davis Study Abroad is here to help you find the right program, maximize your academic learning, and assist you in articulating your experience after you return home to your friends, family and/or potential employer.
As you begin to research what programs are available, it is important to first sort out your expectations and answer a few questions for yourself. Take the time to ask yourself why you want to study abroad and what you want to get out of the experience. What are the obstacles or challenges that exist for you? Which resources can remove any perceived barriers? And what type of program will help you achieve your goals?
Before you pick a location or length of time to study abroad, don’t limit yourself! There are over 300 programs offered—UC Davis Quarter Abroad, UC Davis Summer Abroad, Summer Abroad Internships, UC Davis Seminars Abroad, USA Study Programs, UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP), and more. Stop by UC Davis Study Abroad and let's start researching, together, your program options!
A few of the top reasons students choose to study abroad:
- Expand your cross-cultural communication and problem-solving skills
- Expand your career opportunities by preparing for an increasingly diverse and international workplace
- Experience the student life and academic energy of another country
- Understand native literatures within their cultural and historical contexts
- Strengthen your second language skills through daily conversation and coursework
- Enhance your critical thinking skills
- Gain confidence in yourself personally and academically
Where can I receive advising?
No matter where you are in the process of studying abroad, stop by UC Davis Study Abroad to talk with a Peer Advisor (for general questions and/or an overview of your options) or make an appointment with a professional staff advisor (for more in-depth, program-specific questions).
Our office is open M-F, 9am-4pm. Feel free to email, call, or stop by the office to make an appointment with a professional staff advisor.