What is the UC Davis Global Career Development Series?
The UC Davis Global Career Development Series is an ongoing event series hosted by the Global Learning Hub with the purpose of providing all students with additional global professional development resources and opportunities. This series will feature workshops, info sessions, panels, and webinars with a particular focus on global career development. Events are open to all. Learn more and register below for individual events or browse the archives for previously recorded events.
Tapping Into Your Global Self, Panel for Graduate and Postdoctoral Researchers in Health-Related Fields
- Date/Time: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 4:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Organizers: UC Davis Global Learning Hub, FUTURE program
- Zoom Registration
Do you know that your global experience is powerful, but not sure how it will play out in your career?
Join a panel of PhD professionals as they reflect on the importance of global experience on their journey and their current roles. The UC Davis Global Learning Hub is collaborating with the FUTURE Program to highlight the advantages of international and intercultural experience in a variety of careers. Panelists will be asked to reflect on their transitions from their academic training to their current positions using the Global Learning Outcomes.
- Thelma Garcia – Chemistry PhD, Administrative Lab Manager/Scientist at Buck Institute for Research on Aging
- Rakesh Kumar – Plant Genetics and Breeding PhD, R&D Team Lead at Syngenta
- Atefeh Taheri – Chemistry PhD, Lead Research Scientist at Chevron
- Tatiana Paredes Santos – Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology PhD, Research Scientist at Agilent
- Robb Davis, Director of Intercultural Programs in the Global Learning Hub, has worked for over 30 years in community health programming primarily in West Africa and India. He has also worked in local government in the US on diverse health and community development issues. He holds an MPH and PhD from the Bloomberg School of Public Health at the Johns Hopkins University.
Previously Recorded Events
Peace Corps—Helping You Prepare for Your Global Professional Future
- Date/Time: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
- Organizers: UC Davis Global Learning Hub, Peace Corps
- Zoom Registration
Peace corps sends US citizens to over 60 countries that have requested help and we work at a grass-roots level in local communities for 27 months. We work in areas such as: education, environment, health, agriculture and development. Volunteers receive transportation to and from the country, monthly living stipend, vacation and health benefits and significant training. After serving in the Peace Corps, volunteers receive a readjustment allowance of over $9,000, lifetime eligibility for certain graduate school fellowships and one year of preferential hiring for federal positions, but most importantly, they have received a life changing experience that develops leadership skills and opens doors professionally and academically. Join this virtual event to learn how the Peace Corps can help you prepare for your professional future!
- John Keller, Regional Recruiter in Sacramento. John served in the Peace Corps as an English Teacher in Ethiopia from 2016-2018. Since then he has taught Global Perspectives at an International School in Kampala, Uganda before accepting his current role with the Peace Corps.
Marketing Your Global Experiences
- Date/Time: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Organizers: UC Davis Internship & Career Center, UC Davis Global Learning Hub
You’ve traveled, worked on global projects, developed comprehensive skills, and learned more than the average student. Let’s talk about marketing those experiences. Join Ken Barnes from the Internship and Career Center and Bineti Vitta from the Global Learning Hub for a conversation on developing a resume and marketing plan that highlights your hard work and global awareness.
- Ken Barnes – Assistant Director, UC Davis Internship & Career Center and Center for African Diaspora Student Success
- Bineti Vitta – Experiential Learning Coordinator, UC Davis Global Learning Hub
Hear from panelists who pursued graduate degrees abroad in Europe and Asia. Learn about their experiences navigating school selection, application, finances, academics, and daily life.