Internships and Writing in Dublin
On this Quarter Abroad program, you can:
- Earn 13-18 quarter units
- Enroll in UC Davis courses to fulfill degree, major, minor, or GE requirements
- Experience academic coursework enriched by both the program’s location(s) and activities
Note to Non-UC Davis Students:
Students from other UC campuses should consult with their home campus to determine whether courses may be used to fulfill their specific academic requirements.
- University Writing Program (UWP) 104I. Writing in the Professions: Internships (4 units)
- Writing in the Professions: Internships
- University Writing Program (UWP) 110. Specialized Genres in Professional Writing: Travel Writing (4 units)
- Specialized Genres in Professional Writing: Travel Writing
- University Writing Program (UWP) 192 or EAP 192. Internship (6 units, Pass/No Pass)
- Students will intern approximately 20 hours per week at their program site and will be able to apply for transcript notation through the UC Davis Internship and Career Center. For more details on the internship process, please refer to the Placements tab.
- University Writing Program (UWP) 198. Irish Life and Culture (4 units, Pass/No Pass)
- This course, co-taught with CEA Dublin faculty, will include a brief overview of Irish history, including a unit on indigenous people before and after the British colonization; an overview of geography including landforms / flora / fauna; a sense of Irish literature / art ("high culture") as well as popular culture (film, TV, sport); a brief introduction to the form of government, and enough background about recent politics for students to be able to read the news and understand current controversies. Instruction will be via a mix of classroom and short field trips, with discussion and participation required for a passing grade. This course includes participation on excursions and tours and attendance to guest lectures. Students are often asked to write reflective pieces. Assignment topics vary by program.
This program is open to students who meet the eligibility requirements.
ENL 3 or UWP 1 or equivalent*
Sophomore Standing (45 quarter units or above)
*Equivalents include: Comparative literature (COM) 1, 2, 3, 4; Native American Studies 5; UWP 1V, UWP 1Y; or equivalent courses for non-UC Davis students.
NOTE: International Students may be required to complete an English interview with program provider.
- Prerequisite Equivalents for Students from Other UC's
- UC Berkeley: CW R4A (Reading and Composition) or College Writing Program 1 (Grammar and Vocabulary of Written English) & Sophomore Class Standing (45 quarter units or above)
UC Irvine: WR 39A (Introduction to Writing and Rhetoric) & Sophomore Class Standing (45 quarter units or above)
UCLA: English 4W (Critical Reading and Writing) or courses under "Writing II Requirement" & Sophomore Class Standing (45 quarter units or above)
UC Merced: Writing 1 (Academic Writing) or Writing 10 (Reading & Composition) & Sophomore Class Standing (45 quarter units or above)
UC Riverside: ENGL 4 (English Writing) & Sophomore Class Standing (45 quarter units or above)
UC Santa Barbara: ENGL 10 (Intro to Literary Study) or Writing 1 (Approaches to University Writing) & Sophomore Class Standing (45 quarter units or above)
UC Santa Cruz: LIT 1 (Literary Interpretation) or Writing 2 (Rhetoric and Inquiry) & Sophomore Class Standing (45 quarter units or above)
UC San Diego: Sophomore Class Standing (45 quarter units or above) and applicable course from below
Revelle = Humanities 1 and 2
Warren = Warren Coillege Writing Program WCWP 10A and 10B
Thurgood Marshall = Dimension of Culture DOC 1, 2 and 3
Sixth = Culture, Art and Technology CAT 1, 2 and 3
Eleanor Roosevelt = Making of the Modern World MMW 1, 2 and 3
John Muir = Muir College Writing Program MCWP 40 and 50