Language and Culture in Today’s Renaissance Florence
- Excursions & Activities
- Get to Know Your Destination
- Study Abroad Advisory of Student Risk
- Student Experience
Students are housed in shared apartments or homestays* during their stay in Florence. Apartments are located in the historical center of Florence near beautiful landmarks such as the Duomo, Palazzo Pitti, San Marco, and the Ponte Vecchio! All CEA housing is carefully chosen to provide an optimal experience for student participants. Apartments are equipped with shared bathrooms and kitchen facilities. Internet access is available in the apartments. Homestays are available throughout the city and are well connected to the academic building by public transportation.
UC Davis reserves the right to change the accommodation location. Should this be necessary, we will arrange alternative lodging. Please note that elevators, air conditioners and other modern conveniences may not be available in all locations.
* Please note that homestays cost more than the standard shared apartments and are typically farther from the CEA Study Center than apartments.
A meal estimate is included in the program cost. However, please note that the meal estimate is modest and assumes that students will eat at home for the most part.
As part of the Quarter Abroad program in Florence, you will have a chance to participate in excursions and cultural activities.
Excursions May Include:
- Daytrip to Castello di Verrazzano– offered during orientation. Includes a guided tour of the winery's cantine, a guided tasting of wines accompanied by a hearty meal, and a lesson about respecting wine and proper drinking habits.
- Daytrip to Cinque Terre – includes site visits, hiking pass, lunch, and a guide.
- Daytrip to Bologna – includes transportation, city tour, and lunch.
- Overnight to Turin (the first capital of Italy!) - transportation, guided tours to the Mole Antonelliana and National Museum of Cinema, Royal Palace, Valentino Castle, Madama Palace, Turin Cathedral, hotel, meals.
- 2-night overnight to Rome (optional)
Cultural Activities Include:
- Museum Visits
- Boat tour along the Arno River – explore Florence via the river that runs through it
- Italian Cooking Class – learn how to prepare a typical Tuscan meal
- Volunteer Opportunities
- 2 additional activities— TBD
Florence (Firenze) is located in the beautiful region of Tuscany where art, culture, and wonderful people all thrive. Florence is a city like no other. Cradle of the Renaissance and home of Machiavelli, Michelangelo, and the Medici, Florence is magnetic, romantic, unrivalled, and very lively!
- Lonely Planet
- Atlapedia Online
- CIA World Factbook
- The Electronic Embassy
- Higher Education Systems (Worldwide)
- Library of Congress Country Studies
- Italian Newspapers
Participation in this UC Davis Study Abroad program requires travel to and extended living in a foreign location(s) abroad. UC Davis Study Abroad endeavors to reduce and mitigate risk wherever possible. However, the environments and risks associated with living in these locations are substantially different than those found during a regular course of study at UC Davis. All participants must download and review the following information prior to departure. Any questions should be directed to the Program Coordinator.
Global Learning Hub Student Blogs & Articles
Check out student blogs, global learning, and student life across a variety of program experiences.