Primary Care and Rural Medicine Internships in Bolivia
On this Summer Abroad program, you can:
- Earn 6 quarter units in 5 weeks.
- Enroll in UC Davis courses to fulfill degree, major, minor, or GE requirements as listed in the General Catalog.
- Earn academic credit while gaining valuable international work experience.
Note to Non-UC Davis Students:
- Students from other campuses should consult with their home campus to determine whether courses may be used to fulfill their specific academic requirements.
- Semester students who will apply for Summer Financial Aid can get an additional unit to meet unit minimums for financial aid eligibility. Please contact Summer Abroad for additional information.
The above syllabus is representative of this program. The instructor provides a term-specific program syllabus to enrolled students. The program syllabus and schedule are subject to change at the discretion of the instructor.
You will enroll in the course set below. Auditing is not an option. UC Davis programs are academic programs so participants should expect a substantial amount of course work.
- Education Abroad (EAP) 192. Internship (4 units, Pass/No Pass Grading Only)
- Students will intern 30-35 hours per week at their program site and will be able to apply for transcript notation through the UC Davis Internship and Career Center. May be repeated up to 12 unit(s).
- University Writing Program (UWP) 198. Writing for Internships: Global Health (2 units, Pass/No Pass Grading Only)
- This 2-unit online course is intended as a forum to connect the work students do at their internship to its broader social and cultural context. Through online discussions students will have a community with whom to share their reflections on the realities and ethics of health care in their host countries. Students are often asked to write reflective pieces. Assignment topics vary by program. May be repeated up to 10 unit(s). GE credit: AH, WE.
Along with the general eligibility requirements, Study Abroad will be enforcing the completion of the following prerequisites. For non-UC Davis students, the equivalent at your campus:
Spanish (SPA) 1 or equivalent before departure
- Spanish SPA 001. Elementary Spanish (5)
- Lecture/Discussion—5 hour(s). Introduction to Spanish grammar and development of all language skills in a cultural context with special emphasis on communication. Not open for credit for students who have completed equivalent SPA 001S; students who have successfully completed SPA 002 or SPA 003 in the 10th or higher grade of high school may receive unit credit for this course on a P/NP grading basis only; although a passing grade will be charged to the student's P/NP option, no petition is required; all other students will receive a letter grade unless a P/NP petition is filed. GE credit: AH, WC.
Prerequisites can only be waived by individualized consent of instructor—please contact the instructor if you wish to discuss this option. Please note that you will be required to submit proof of prerequisites waived when submitting your enrollment. Failure to complete unwaived prerequisites prior to program departure can result in administrative withdrawal and fees owed accordingly.