Hospital Medicine and Infectious Disease Internships in South Africa
Durban, South Africa
Arrive Date: August 8, 2020 End Date: September 12, 2020
The Global Health Summer Abroad Internship program provides students interested in health the opportunity to gain first hand clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
Based in Durban, a dynamic metropolitan area of over three-million people, and the heartland of Zulu culture, students will learn about local hospital medicine and infectious disease treatment. Students will join local healthcare teams at a missionary hospital that provides services and treatment for HIV/AIDS patients, and work with a large tertiary teaching hospital in the Surgical and Pediatric wards. Program participants learn about medical education in South Africa by working with local medical residents. Additionally, students will learn about the role of local nonprofit organizations through clinical rotations at a state-of-the-art, comprehensive care center for people affected by HIV/AIDS. This NGO offers ARV’s psycho-social support, substance abuse program, nutrition education, and meal services.
See On Site for more information about Clinical Rotations. Program provided by Child Family Health International (CFHI), a NGO recognized by the United Nations.
Orientation Week Sample Schedule
- Tour of clinics and hospitals where students will be rotating
- Double-decker Durban city tour visit to Valley of a Thousand Hills, includes a visit to a traditional Zulu village where students can witness traditional Zulu dance and learn more about ancient rites
- Full day Safari
- Cat Rehab Center: An up close and personal tour to learn more about South Africa’s endangered wildcat species
- Hippo & Croc Boat Cruise safari in St. Lucia to observe hippos, Nile crocodiles and hundreds of bird species.
- Umlazi Township: includes a visit to an orphanage that cares for children who lost their parents to HIV/AIDS
- Orientation dinner
Max Enrollment: 13
Taught in: English (course taught remotely)
Program Coordinator: Dana Armstrong
Education Abroad (EAP) 192. Internship (4 units)
University Writing Program (UWP) 198. Writing for Internships: Global Health (2 units)
- Latinx Health Internship in Oaxaca (Fall Quarter Abroad)
- NPB 110A—Molecules to Individuals (Summer Abroad)
- Tanzania—Culture, Wildlife, and Activism (Summer Abroad)
- Primary Care and Rural Medicine Internships in Bolivia (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Pediatric Care and Reproductive Health Internships in Ghana (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Public Health and Rural/Urban Medicine Internships in India (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Remote Island Medicine Internships in the Philippines (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Healthcare Challenges Internships in South Africa (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Holistic Healing Internships in Hawaii (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Immigrant and Refugee Health Internships in California (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences