Remote Island Medicine Internships in the Philippines
The Global Health Summer Abroad Internship program provides students interested in health the opportunity to gain firsthand clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
Join the Philippines program and learn how resources, medicine, and healthcare services vary between remote islands and the mainland. Learn about the daily healthcare challenges villagers on remote islands face, where hospitals and clinics lack infrastructure, investments, supplies and personnel.
Spend time in the excellent private and public healthcare facilities in the capital city of Manila to learn about the Philippines’ healthcare system and urban health service delivery. Meet local health professionals at the WHO Western Pacific Regional Office Headquarters and the Department of Health, and enjoy cultural lectures and excursions. Learn about the daily healthcare challenges faced by “barangays”, or villages, on remote islands in the provinces of Quezon and Romblon. Overall, this program will offer participants a taste of island hospitality with a unique cultural insight while rotating at community level clinics and participating in public health activities.
Program provided by Child Family Health International (CFHI), an NGO recognized by the United Nations.
- Exceptional intercultural communication opportunities in an international setting.
- Excellent opportunity to hone and apply concepts learned in classrooms in real-world, global contexts.
- Exciting opportunity to grow professionally and personally.
- Outstanding résumé line item and interview talking point.
- Tremendous opportunity to make cultural, professional, and geographic discoveries.
What Students Are Saying
- “[The] most rewarding part was interacting with local staff, like nurses and doctors, as well as the local community. I learned a lot about the healthcare system and culture of the Philippines through my interactions with these diverse groups.”
- “The most rewarding part has been learning so much about the culture and health care system. I loved connecting with the locals.”
- “I had a wonderful time. The internship completely exceeded my expectations.”
- Latinx Health Internship Program in Oaxaca (Fall Quarter Abroad)
- NPB 110A—Molecules to Individuals (Summer Abroad)
- Thailand—Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles (Summer Abroad)
- Virtual Summer Internships in Global Health
- Other Global Health Summer Abroad Internships
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities