Wildlife, Conservation, and Veterinary Medicine Internships in Thailand
Chiang Mai and Elephant Nature Park, Thailand
Arrive Date: June 30, 2020 End Date: August 6, 2020
This program, in partnership with Loop Abroad, allows for students to have the hands-on benefits of a traditional internship while also giving them the in-depth knowledge of a small course or mentorship by Loop Abroad veterinarians in a cross-cultural context. Students have the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in a variety of settings. Four weeks will include 35-40 (per week) veterinary experience hours while working with wildlife at a zoo and in a small animal clinic based within an elephant sanctuary. Students will also spend one week volunteering with and studying elephants at the elephant sanctuary and gaining an understanding of the intersection of conservation, culture, and development. Students will have a chance to live in both city and rural settings and explore Thai culture while learning hands-on veterinary, conservation, and animal science skills including physical exams, ethograms and enrichments, research observation, treatments and preventative medicine for small animals. Groups will include 8-12 students, and the order of the rotations will vary.
Max Enrollment: 24
Taught in: English (VME 198, course taught remotely)
Program Coordinator: Sarah Wiens
Medicine and Epidemiology (VME) 198. Ag and Vet Science Internship Reflection (2 units, P/NP)
Education Abroad (EAP) 192. Internship (6 units, P/NP)
Students will participate in a professional internship for 30-40 hours per week. Please see Placements tab for more internship details.
- Feed, study, and care for rescued elephants
- Learn and practice small animal clinical skills
- Work with local staff at locally-owned and operated conservation projects
- Learn directly alongside experienced veterinarians
- Open to students from all majors. No language requirement.
- Tanzania—Culture, Wildlife, Activism (Summer Abroad)
- Wildlife, Conservation, and Veterinary Medicine Internship in Australia (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Equine Welfare and Management in Poland (Seminars Abroad)
- Other Programs in Wildlife, Fish and Conservation Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Science