Ag Science and Sustainability Internships in Costa Rica
Guácimo, Costa Rica
Arrive Date: June 18, 2020 End Date: August 1, 2020
Gain hands-on, career-focused work experiences in multiple areas of sustainable and tropical agriculture at EARTH University, a safe, sustainable, 8,340-acre University in the heart of the tropical Costa Rican rainforest. Following EARTH´s educational model and methodology of learning by doing, you will work on EARTH´s academic farms collaborating directly with farm workers and EARTH students, under supervision of an EARTH faculty member as you do 2-week rotations in peri-urban agriculture, tropical crops, and organic agriculture. Students will end the program having gained a deeper understanding of agricultural and sustainability practices, enhanced communication and problem-solving skills and the confidence to embrace cultural differences. Beginning intermediate Spanish proficiency is required to help facilitate communication with the farm workers and students.
Max Enrollment: 6
Taught in: English (VWM 198 course taught remotely)
Program Coordinator: Erin Schlemmer
Medicine and Epidemiology (VME) 198. Ag and Vet Science Internship Reflection (2 units)
Education Abroad (EAP) 192. Internship (6 units, P/NP)
Students will participate in a professional internship for 30-32 hours per week. Internship details, placement information, and sample internships.
- Open to students in any major! Great for those who have an interest in sustainable agriculture, tropical agriculture, landscape architecture, sustainability, agribusiness and more.
- Learn what it takes to implement sustainability practices while living in one of the world’s leading countries for sustainable development.
- Enjoy a truly multi-cultural experience as you work alongside EARTH students from Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Environmental Justice in Indigenous Ecuador (Summer Abroad)
- Science and Society in the Middle East (Summer Abroad)
- GIS in the Land of the Thunder Dragon (Summer Abroad)
- Other programs in Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems
- Other Programs in Plant Sciences