Wildlife, Conservation, and Veterinary Medicine
Near San José, Costa Rica
- Dates – June 25–July 22, 2023
- Max Enrollment – 24
- Prerequisites – No
- Career Area – Animal and Veterinary Science
Gain hands-on experience in Costa Rica at Rescue Center Costa Rica, a wildlife rescue, rehabilitation and release center outside of San Jose. On site, you will be led by veterinarians as well as the RCCR staff in learning to care for rescued Costa Rican wildlife including sloths, primates, reptiles, birds, and other small mammals. Interns will receive veterinary lectures on relevant content, will have opportunities to shadow and observe cases in the veterinary clinic, and will learn about and take part in a rescue, rehab, and release wildlife center’s operations and upkeep. This internship also includes fun off-site excursions to Manuel Antonio National Park, a volcano, waterfall, coffee plantation, and horse rescue, as well as transportation to San Jose for a few days of free time in the city.
Apart from work for the internship, you will also engage in an online course facilitated by a UC Davis faculty. The online coursework provides an opportunity for meaningful reflection during the program. You will spend approximately 35-40 hours per week at your internship and another two hours per week for the online course.
Program provided in partnership with Loop Abroad.
- Program Coordinator – Ted Sengpaseuth
- Instructor – Lisa Tell
- Learn the basics of husbandry while caring for sloths, kinkajous, monkeys, parrots and other Costa Rican animals.
- Learn how to perform basic diagnostic testing/procedures such as coprological examinations and necropsies.
- Includes a visit to Manuel Antonio National Park, a world-famous beach.
- Open to students from all majors.
- Large Animal Science in the Caribbean (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Animal and Vet Science Summer Abroad Internships
- One Health Uganda (Summer Abroad)
- Other Programs in Wildlife, Fish and Conservation Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Science
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities