Large Animal Science in the Caribbean
San Ignacio, Belize
- Dates – June 25–July 22, 2023
- Max Enrollment – 13
- Taught In – English
- Prerequisites – No
- Career Area – Animal and Veterinary Science
Gain hands-on animal experience in Belize, a country known for its animal diversity and ecological progressiveness. You will have the opportunity to learn hands-on veterinary examination techniques at working ranches and farms (horse, sheep, cattle and pigs) as well as animal agriculture in Belize, including analyzing laboratory specimens in a laboratory. You may also have the opportunity to assist in companion animal clinics. This course is designed for the veterinary, pre-veterinary, animal science or zoology students to gain working knowledge of the husbandry, and health issues confronting farm animals such as horses, sheep, pigs and cattle (beef and dairy) in Belize.
The first two weeks include an intensive course in large animal veterinary medicine with lectures, field assessments, written assignments, presentations, and a full course assessment at the end of week 2. Weeks 3 and 4 include of immersive field rotations with visits to local farms, government agencies and laboratories.
Apart from work for the internship, you will also engage in an online course facilitated by a UC Davis faculty. The online coursework provides an opportunity for meaningful reflection during the program. You will spend approximately 35-40 hours per week at your internship and another two hours per week for the online course.
Program provided in partnership with Loop Abroad.
- Work hands-on with a head veterinarian in Belize to build your knowledge and skills in a cross-cultural context.
- Learn basic anatomy and physiology of large farm animals and become familiar with livestock terminology and general husbandry.
- Field opportunities may include a working horse ranch and breeding facility, a working sheep farm focusing on genetic breeding, and cattle (dairy and beef) and pig farms.
- Wildlife, Conservation, and Veterinary Medicine Internship in Costa Rica
- Other Animal and Vet Science Summer Abroad Internships
- One Health Uganda (Summer Abroad)
- Other Programs in Wildlife, Fish and Conservation Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Science
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities