Hospital Medicine and Health Disparities
Cape Town, South Africa
- Dates – August 5–September 9, 2023
- Max Enrollment – 10
- Prerequisites – No
- Career Area – Global Health
The Global Health Summer Abroad Internship program provides students interested in health the opportunity to gain firsthand observational clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
Cape Town, known as the “mother city” is one of South Africa’s most beautiful cities. It is multicultural and diverse and is the second most populous city in South Africa. This will be the stage for students to experience first-hand some of the daily challenges and current efforts to address health inequities among marginalized and underserved communities in both urban settings with exposure to townships and rural settings. Students will participate in clinical rotations at local hospitals in Cape Town, working alongside local healthcare teams and rotating through a variety of wards, such as emergency, outpatient, and surgery. Pending local realities, students may also be able to spend time at a rural health-focused NGO that provides services to a local farming community.
Program provided by CFHI, an NGO recognized by the United Nations.
- Program Coordinator – Aspen Felt
- Instructor – Theresa Walsh
- Provides firsthand observational clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
- Excellent opportunity to hone and apply concepts learned in classrooms in real-world, global contexts.
- Exciting opportunity to grow professionally and personally.
- Outstanding résumé line item and interview talking point.
- Tremendous opportunity to make cultural, professional, and geographic discoveries.
- Spain—History of Cancer (Summer Abroad)
- Other Global Health Summer Abroad Internships
- Virtual Summer Internships in Social Impact and Public Health
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities