Bhutan—GIS in the Land of the Thunder Dragon
Arrive Date: August 10, 2019 End Date: September 8, 2019
Nestled in the Himalaya Mountains between India and China (Tibet), the small Buddhist monarchy of Bhutan awaits you! Join us and learn how to use geographic information systems (GIS) as part of our study abroad program in Bhutan. With a population of about 700,000, Bhutan is a small but culturally rich country. We will be staying at the Royal Thimphu College, which is 20 minutes from downtown Thimphu, the capital city. Known for its development philosophy of Gross National Happiness, where progress is measured in terms of collective happiness of its people rather than purely economic measures, Bhutan also boasts strict environmental laws. Bhutan is the only “carbon negative” country in the world. With rich biodiversity, 72% forest cover, and elevation gradient from 100 meters to 7,500 meters, Bhutan is an excellent place to learn GIS and experience this cultural paradise.
In the News:
- Global Affairs News, "Journeys in Bhutan: from Fulbright Scholar to Study Abroad Leader"
- Her Campus, "A Love Letter to Bhutan"
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 24
Program Coordinator: Jennifer Moylan
Landscape Architecture (LDA)/Applied Biological Systems Technology (ABT) 150. Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (4 units)
Landscape Architecture (LDA)/Applied Biological Systems Technology (ABT) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, Pass/No Pass grading only)
- Learn about and experience Gross National Happiness
- Enjoy college life at 8,000 feet elevation in the Himalaya region
- Enroll in a highly impacted UC Davis course that will benefit students from all majors
- Immerse yourself in a beautiful, peaceful place with warm, friendly residents
- Thailand – Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles (Thailand)
- Costa Rica – Ag Sciences and Sustainability Internship (Costa Rica)
- Iceland – Thermodynamics in the Land of Fire and Ice (Iceland)
- Other Programs in LDA
- Other Programs in Asia