At the Crossroads of Gender and Communication
London, United Kingdom
Arrive Date: June 23, 2018 End Date: July 21, 2018
Gender and communication thrive at a dynamic crossroads. The program introduces students to the relationship between gender and communication in a locale—London—with a deep history and culture that is intellectually and experientially stimulating. Students will learn concepts related to gender and communication, immerse themselves in their surroundings by having experiences directly related to class material, and compare and contrast the U.S. and U.K. Example topics include gender roles in society; language differences; stereotypes; friendships and romantic relationships; leadership; glass ceiling; texting, Facebook, and computer-mediated communication; and gendered representations in the media. Students will visit the British Museum, National Gallery, Hampton Court, and Science Museum (most with tailored tours) and see how gender is portrayed in a movie and a play.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 32
Program Coordinator: Jennifer Moylan
Communication (CMN) 111. Gender Differences in Communication (4 units)
Communication (CMN) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Immerse yourself in one of Europe’s most exciting and cultured cities by observing and participating in new experiences that will expand your horizons and worldview and will introduce you to diverse people and perspectives.
- Establish long-lasting friendships with fellow students by collaborating on student-designed projects that explore gender and communication.
- Explore London museums and historic sites, many of which include tailored tours from trained docents with specialized expertise.
- Vienna—Crossroads of Central Europe (Austria)
- Into the Andes—History, Environment, Culture (Peru)
- Rome—Art, Culture, History in the Eternal City (Italy)
- Americans in Paris (France)
- Three Cultures of Medieval Spain (Spain)
- Other Programs in Communication
- Other Programs in Europe