Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles
First Offering – Session I
Arrive Date: June 21, 2019 End Date: July 20, 2019
Second Offering – Session II
Arrive Date: August 2, 2019 End Date: August 31, 2019
This laboratory program will introduce microbiology to students wishing to explore the enchanting and exotic Kingdom of Thailand. Hands-on activities complement lecture and laboratory exercises to explore the microbiology of Thai food, international health issues, and the changing environment. Students will explore microbial diversity from samples they obtain from a variety of places, ranging from open-air markets and urban canals to pristine jungles and beaches. Excursions allow discovery of urban and rural locations to examine microbiology at the crossroads of public health, food safety, and the environment. As a group, there will be travel within Bangkok, to the United Nation’s World Heritage Historic City of Ayutthaya and to islands in the Andaman Sea. This program will be hosted at Assumption University, which is among Southeast Asia’s top comprehensive international universities.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Leigh Cocanougher
Microbiology (MIC) 102. Introductory Microbiology (3 units)
Microbiology (MIC) 103L. Introductory Microbiology Laboratory (2 units)
Microbiology (MIC) 198. Directed Group Study of Microbiology (3 units, P/NP)
Food Science and Technology (FST) 104L. Food Microbiology Laboratory (4 units)
Food Science and Technology (FST) 198. Directed Group Study of Food Science (4 units, P/NP)
Prerequisite Note: Summer Abroad will be enforcing prerequisites for this program.
- Get class credits for a Life Science laboratory that involves exploring tropical jungles, pristine beaches, exotic markets, and the mega-city of Bangkok.
- Participate in experiences focused on understanding how humans impact the microbiology on food, human health, and the environment.
- Meet like-minded students, sample fantastic food, experience exotic cultural activities, visit mystical temples and grand palaces, enjoy walking on tropical beaches, and swimming among world-famous underwater reefs.
- Be creative to participate in research or service projects to experience Thai culture, Asian Pop culture or contribute to public health, food production or community development.
- Life Sciences in Japan (Japan)
- Genetics—The Global Language of Biology (Austria, Czech Republic, UK, Sweden)
- Ireland—Bio Sci Statistics in Cork (Ireland)
- Neurobiology in Romania (Romania)
- Internships Abroad: Global Health (Multiple Countries Available)
- Other Programs in Microbiology
- Other Programs in Food Science and Technology
- Other Programs in Asia and Oceania