The Politics of Global Inequality
Arrive Date: TBD End Date: TBD
The long-standing division of the global system into richer and poorer regions poses many important problems in international political economy. The Politics of Global Inequality presents a theoretical background to North-South issues and analyzes current problems in economic and political relations. After defining inequality, we will examine the sources of inequality emanating from the international system as well as from domestic political systems. We will also examine specific problems poor countries face, such as agricultural reform, population growth, levels of international trade, and foreign direct investment. The program integrates these issues with an exploration of the role that intergovernmental agencies play in facilitating development. We will visit organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the World Trade Organization (WTO), which are headquartered in Geneva and provide many of the prescriptions for development.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 32
Program Coordinator: Sarah Wiens
Political Science (POL) 124. The Politics of Global Inequality (4 units)
Political Science (POL) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Explore career options in international development, working for international organizations.
- Live in a charming international city at the center of Europe.
- Work with other students interested in issues of poverty and poverty reduction.
- Visit the World Trade Organization, the World Health Organization, the UN Development Program and the UN Environmental Program.
- Network with international development professionals and organize future internships with international organizations in Geneva.
- Housing and Urbanism in Barcelona (Spain)
- Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe (Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland)
- Environmental Justice in Indigenous Ecuador (Ecuador)
- United Kingdom—Political Science at the London School of Economics (Fall Quarter Abroad)
- Other Programs in Political Science
- Other Programs in Europe