Arrive Date: July 1, 2018 End Date: July 28, 2018
With a rich history and beautiful beaches and countryside, Portugal is an overlooked gem that is quietly emerging as a “go to” destination. The program will be based at Porto, a friendly city with a pleasant coastal climate that will serve as our jumping-off point for an exploration of Portuguese culture, literature, and society. Coursework will be complemented by guest talks, museum and gallery visits, and long weekend trips to Lisbon, Portuguese wine country, the Atlantic coast, and the rolling hills of the Alentejo region. Learn about one of Europe’s most fascinating cultures while eating delicious food, trying local pastries, listening to fado, and sipping an espresso! No knowledge of Portuguese is necessary.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 24
Program Coordinator: Greg Gundersen
Portuguese (POR) 159. Special Topics in Luso-Brazilian Literature and Culture (4 units)
Portuguese (POR) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Porto is historically and visually impressive. It's safe and cosmopolitan, with a pleasant coastal climate.
- Small, interdisciplinary classes with personalized attention; easy credit transfer to UC.
- Knowledge of Portuguese not required; "Survival" Portuguese will be offered.
- Portugal is very affordable. Our program includes several long weekend trips, and provides excellent value.
- Housed at the University of Porto, a leading European university.
- Buenos Aires—Music, Film and Culture in the Global City (Argentina)
- Rome—Art, Culture, History in the Eternal City (Italy)
- Celtic Connections (Ireland, France, Spain)
- Scottish Tales (United Kingdom)
- Other Programs in Europe