World Cinema and the European Film Festival
Milan, Italy; Cannes, France; Locarno, Switzerland
Arrive Date: August 4, 2019 End Date: September 1, 2019
Starting in Milan, then proceeding to the Locarno Film Festival in Italian Switzerland and finishing on the French Riviera in Cannes, this program examines contemporary cinema by considering how film festivals help in producing and distributing films around the world. The highlight of our time is the Locarno Film Festival, set in the lovely lake region of southern Switzerland/northern Italy (near Lake Como and Milan). Perched between Cannes (in spring) and Venice (in fall), Locarno is the most important summer festival. Students have a full festival pass and much of our work concerns the films at the festival. The class considers the relationship between national filmmaking and transnational festivals as well as that between Hollywood and independent/smaller productions. We examine a series of contemporary filmmakers who established themselves at film festivals (Wong, Haneke, Dolan et al.).
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Angela McNutt
Film Studies (FMS) 125. Topics in Film Genres (4 units)
Cinema and Digital Media (CDM) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Program visits three countries: Italy, Switzerland, and France, including a major city, Milan, and two important resort towns, Locarno and Cannes.
- Attend, as a full participant, an entire A-level film festival in the Italian-Swiss Lake region (near lake Como/Bellagio/Milan).
- Stay and study in one of the most beautiful summer resort areas in the world (Cannes on the French Riviera)
- Tour sites associated with the one of the world’s most famous film festival, the Cannes film festival, as well as Nice and Monaco.
- Visit Swiss mountain peaks, take a ferry on Swiss mountain lake, visit Switzerland’s third largest banking city, Lugano, and Milan, one of Italy’s biggest and most dynamic cities.
- Design in Europe (UK, Netherlands)
- Fashion Marketing in Paris (France)
- France—Sex & Space (France)
- Vienna—Crossroads of Central Europe (Austria)
- Other Programs in Cinema and Technocultural Studies
- Other Multi-Country Programs in Europe