Genetics—The Global Language of Biology
Vienna, Austria; Brno, Czech Republic; Cambridge, UK; Stockholm, Sweden
Arrive Date: August 5, 2018 End Date: September 2, 2018
This program takes you on an exciting trip across Europe—4 countries—to visit sites ranging from historical landmarks to institutions conducting cutting edge research in genetics. Your studies will begin in Vienna, Austria, with a side trip to the Mendel Museum in the Czech Republic. You will then continue by air to England and stay at the University of Cambridge, which is steeped in the history of genetics. Next you will fly to Stockholm, Sweden, which hosts the Nobel Prize. This “genetics immersion” program takes a research and molecular based approach. The program will broaden your life and scientific views and increase your knowledge about opportunities to further study/work abroad, all while enjoying the variety of academic and national cultures.
Tutoring Opportunity: Students who have already taken BIS 101 or a similar genetics course are eligible to apply as tutors: two positions available, courses MCB 197T & MCB 198. Interested students should contact the instructor during the fall quarter 2017 for more information. Enrollment as a tutor is by consent of instructor.
The onsite coordinator abroad will be Capt. Ingemar Olsson, who has extensive travel experience and foreign language proficiency.
This program was nominated for an Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Erin Schlemmer
Biological Sciences (BIS) 101. Genes and Gene Expression (4 units)
Molecular and Cellular Biology (MCB) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
Prerequisite Note: Summer Abroad will be enforcing prerequisites for this program.
- Live and study at the University of Cambridge, where Watson stayed during his work on DNA with Crick.
- Attend research lectures by leading scientists at academic and research institutions in cities across Europe.
- In Sweden's capital, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, attend class at Stockholm University and visit the sites of the annual Nobel Prize ceremonies.
- Experience living aboard the Rygerfjord Hostel ship, located in the heart of Stockholm.
- Visit the monastery where Gregor Mendel conducted his experiments, in Brno, Czech Republic.
- Microbiology Laboratory in the Kingdom of Smiles (Thailand)
- Life Sciences (Japan)
- Bio Sci 2A on the Emerald Isle (Ireland)
- Internships Abroad: Global Health (Multiple Countries)
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences
- Other Programs in Europe