Design in Europe
York, Edinburgh, London—United Kingdom; Utrecht, Netherlands
Arrive Date: June 29, 2019 End Date: July 27, 2019
Britain and the Netherlands are two European countries that are unsurpassed when it comes to innovative and influential art, architecture, and design. Starting in the ancient English city of York, this program will travel to the vibrant Scottish city of Edinburgh, the creative capitol London, and then to the Dutch cities of Utrecht and Amsterdam where design truly infiltrates everyday life. These cities represent a cultural and historical “design slice” through the heart of Northern Europe. Creative projects will focus on the design of multi-sensory experiences for cultural, commercial, and public spaces, and the evolution of European design expression and the international style. Excursions include visiting famous historical and contemporary design sites in other cities such as Glasgow and Rotterdam, professional design studios, and experiencing total design immersion at the Victoria & Albert Museum, London’s Design Museum, the Stedelijk Museum, and the Rietveld Schröder House.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 32
Program Coordinator: Jennifer Moylan
Design (DES) 187. Narrative Environments (4 units)
Design (DES) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Experience living in the heart of four amazing European cities: York, Edinburgh, London, and Utrecht.
- Participate in behind-the-scenes visits to world-class design related museums and cultural attractions.
- Enjoy organized excursions to the vibrant cities of Leeds, Whitby, Glasgow, Amsterdam, and Rotterdam.
- Participate in creative projects with leading professional designers in their studios.
- Study and make friends at other design schools including London's prestigious Central St. Martins School of Design.
- Fashion Marketing in Paris (France)
- Global Fashion in China (China)
- World Cinema & the European Film Festival (Italy, France, Switzerland)
- France—Sex & Space (France)
- Other Programs in Design
- Other Programs in the UK and Europe