Japan—Sustainability of the Built Enviornment
Tokyo, Kyoto, Kyushu, Japan
Arrive Date: June 20, 2018 End Date: July 17, 2018
The Japanese are innovators in sustainability of the built environment. They use life cycle design procedures that reduce economic and environmental costs. Such costs are related to materials usage and energy consumption, waste generation, emissions to the environment, and health effects. Thus, this program reviews basic principles of design for sustainability. The course contents, including field trips within the Tokyo Metropolitan area, will highlight Japanese innovations from broad engineering perspectives. The companion course, Statics, supports many branches of engineering and complements study within the sciences. While the majority of the course will take place in dynamic Tokyo, cultural experiences will be enhanced through visits to several prominent regions within the Japanese island chain, including Kyoto and Kyushu.
Taught In: English
Max Enrollment: 26
Program Coordinator: Jennifer Moylan
Engineering (ENG) 35. Statics (4 units)
Civil and Environmental Engineering (ECI) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
Prerequisites: Summer Abroad will be enforcing prerequisites for this program.
- Learn about Japanese historical practices and emerging, innovative approaches with respect to sustainability of the built environment.
- Complete, Statics (or the equivalent course for your campus), a required course for most engineering majors.
- Explore Tokyo and its environs, which offer numerous cultural treasures (of the arts, architecture, and cuisine) and astonishing views of modern Japanese culture.
- Venture in the countryside for impressive views of iconic Mt Fuji and travel aboard the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) to visit several other regions in Japan, including Kyoto, which boasts of 17 UNESCO world heritage sites.
- Thermodynamics in the Land of Fire and Ice (Iceland)
- Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe (Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland)
- Introduction to Geographic Systems (Bhutan)
- Internship Abroad: Engineering in Sydney (Australia)
- Internship Abroad: Engineering in Barcelona (Spain)
- Other Programs in Engineering
- Other Programs in Asia and Oceania