UC Davis Summer Abroad - FAQs

Header Image, Summer Abroad

General Questions

  • How do I choose the best Summer Abroad program for me?
  • The success of your study abroad experience depends on careful planning. From academic considerations such as how your course will fulfill university requirements to more personal ones such as the food and climate in your location, you need to research your options and choose the program that’s right for you.

    Many factors can influence your program choice—from the course or location to the instructor and costs. Students have many resources to help them in this decision—from the program’s web page to information sessions and contact with the instructor or past participants.

    Some questions to consider:
    - Why do you want to study abroad?
    - Are you interested in a specific location or field of study?
    - Do you want to widen your global perspective?
    - Do you want to travel to several different locations or stay in one city?
    - Do you prefer an urban environment or a rural one?
  • What is the typical class size?
  • Classes are small, ranging from 18-30 students.
  • Can I go on more than one program?
  • Yes, as long as the program dates do not overlap.
  • Are programs ever cancelled?
  • Yes. Programs can be cancelled due to low enrollment, instructor emergency, or at the discretion of the university due to safety concerns.
  • Can I stay with family or friends that live in my host country rather than stay in the program accommodations?
  • No. In order to participate in the program, students must also stay at the program accommodations.
  • Can family or friends stay with me in the program accommodations?
  • No. Overnight guests are not permitted in the program accommodations.
  • I have a disability. Can I still study abroad?
  • Yes. Students with disabilities are encouraged to explore opportunities to study abroad. Although not all programs can accommodate all types of disabilities, we want as many students as possible to have a study abroad experience. It is important to plan ahead and consult with a Summer Abroad Program Coordinator as early as possible so we can direct you to the appropriate resources and programs. If you wait to arrange your accommodations, we may not be able to arrange them. You may also find study abroad resources for students with disabilities on UC Davis Study Abroad’s “Students with Disabilities” webpage.
  • What resources are available to LGBTQIA+ students who wish to study abroad?
  • A list of travel and study abroad resources can be found on UC Davis Study Abroad’s “LGBTIQA+” Diversity & Access Abroad webpage. The LGBTQIA+ Resource Center at UC Davis also provides resources, such as the Study Abroad Interactive Map. Some of our host providers and staff members are even Safe Zone certified! Please feel free to talk with a Summer Abroad Program Coordinator about any questions or concerns you may have about studying abroad.
  • What is the difference between UC Davis Summer Abroad and other UC summer abroad options?
  • The UC system-wide Education Abroad Program (EAP) offers 6 – 10 week summer programs, including many Language and Culture options. Visit our UCEAP page to learn more. In addition, many UC campuses offer study abroad programs around the world. These options vary in length, course content and location. To learn more about other UC summer programs, visit:
    UC Berkeley Summer Abroad and Global Internships
    UC Los Angeles Summer Travel Study
    UC Riverside Summer Study Abroad
    UC San Diego Global Seminars and Travel Study
    UC Santa Barbara Summer Travel Study

Academic Questions

  • Will I earn academic credit for courses I take while studying abroad?
  • Yes. All courses taken on a Summer Abroad program are accredited UC Davis courses. Students should work with their home campus advisor to determine whether units fulfill major, minor, general education, and/or foreign language requirements. Course descriptions are available on the Summer Abroad website as well as in the UC Davis General Catalog
  • Can I get credit for courses that will not fulfill major or minor requirements?
  • UC Davis students may opt to petition for the Global and International Studies (GIS) Minor which gives students recognition for upper division course work taken abroad that is not being applied toward major or minor requirements. Students can complete up to 40% of the requirements for this minor by simply participating in a Summer Abroad program. For more information, go to our Academics page. Non-Davis students should investigate options for alternate course credit on their home campus.
  • I am graduating at the end of spring quarter. Can I still study abroad?
  • Yes. You may participate in a Summer Abroad program after you graduate from college. Graduate students and professionals may also participate in Summer Abroad programs. Students who participate in Summer Abroad after they graduated will have to pay the higher non-UC rate for the course fee and are not eligible to apply for Summer Financial Aid. Graduating UC students may want to investigate options for deferring their graduation to Summer or Fall Quarter.
  • Are there any language requirements?
  • No, all Summer Abroad programs are taught in English.
  • Does Summer Abroad offer courses in science and engineering?
  • Yes. Check with your academic advisor to determine how the offered courses can be applied to your major.

Enrollment Questions

  • My GPA is under 3.0. Can I still study abroad?
  • Yes. Summer Abroad and Summer Abroad Internships applicants must have a 2.0 GPA.
  • Are there any prerequisites?
  • Course prerequisites are listed with the program description in the Summer Abroad brochure and on our website. If you have a question about your preparation for a course or program, please send an inquiry to summerabroad@ucdavis.edu
  • I am a high school student who is planning to attend UC Davis next year. Can I study abroad before I enter school in the fall?
  • Yes. You may participate in a Summer Abroad program the summer before your freshman year, provided you meet the minimum eligibility requirements.
  • When is the enrollment deadline?
  • You can see all important enrollment dates here. Popular programs fill up quickly and space is allocated on a first-completed, first-reserved basis. Early enrollment is recommended.
  • Why do you require a Health Clearance?
  • In the case of an emergency while overseas, we need to have a complete record of your health history so you can be adequately cared for by a physician.
  • Where can I get my passport?
  • You can apply for a new passport or renew an old one at many post offices. UC Davis students can now apply for a passport at the ARC.
    Check the Department of State website to find the nearest passport acceptance facility. To download a passport application and application instructions, visit the Department of State's passport site.
    NOTE: If you have a passport, check the expiration date. It needs to be valid for at least six months after the end date of your program.
  • There are two classes listed for each program. Do I have to take both?
  • Yes. All participants must enroll in both courses. Please note that students who withdraw from a course or courses after the program begins may not continue to participate in the program and will not receive a refund of their fees.
  • How do I register for my classes?
  • Enrolled students will receive instructions for registering for their Summer Abroad courses on their Study Abroad account page and via email. Please note that you must register for your classes in order to be eligible for financial aid.

Finance Questions

  • How much does it cost to participate in a UC Davis Summer Abroad program?
  • The UC Davis fees for Summer Abroad programs range from $4000-$7800, depending on location. To find fees for a particular program, please visit our Programs web page.
  • I’m a UC Davis student. Can I get Financial Aid to study abroad?
  • UC Davis students need to have filled out a FASFA or Dream Act Application in order to be eligible for Summer Aid and need to register for 6 or more units as soon as summer course registration opens (usually late April or early May).
  • How much money will I get from Financial Aid?
  • Beginning in March, UC Davis students can use the Financial Aid estimator, available online at the Financial Aid website, to estimate their eligibility for grants and loans that will help cover the cost of their Summer Abroad program. Please keep in mind that the cost listed includes the estimated cost of airfare, recommended spending money and other incidental fees—over and above the fees charged by Summer Abroad. Non-Davis students should consult with an advisor on their home campus to determine their eligibility for Summer Financial Aid.
  • I’m a UC Davis student. How do I apply for financial aid?
  • In order to increase the chance of being eligible for limited summer grants, UC Davis students need to have a FAFSA or Dream Act Application on file and register for six or more units on the first day course registration opens (usually late April or early May). Check the UC Davis Financial Aid website for more information.
  • I’m a non-Davis student. How do I apply for financial aid?
  • Non-Davis students should consult with the Financial Aid office on their home campus for application instructions. If your campus requires proof of enrollment in order to process your aid application, please write to summerabroad@ucdavis.edu and request an Enrollment Verification letter.
  • Will I have to buy health insurance for the period of my study abroad?
  • No. Enrolled students will be automatically covered by GeoBlue and UnitedHealthCare (Chubb) insurance. For more information on GeoBlue and Chubb insurance coverage, please refer to the Study Abroad Student Handbook and Summer Abroad Guide, available online.
  • What does the Accommodations and Services Abroad Fee cover?
  • The Accommodations and Services Abroad fee varies per program and charges directly for the cost of housing, meals, transportation and activities associated with a particular program. A list of the services included can be found in the "Cost" section of a program’s webpage.
  • Is travel to the program site included in the cost?
  • No. You must make your own flight arrangements. Your Program Specific Guide (PSG) will provide information on the nearest international airport and the options for transportation from the airport to the program site.