A photocopy of your valid passport must be submitted with your enrollment. Please make sure that your passport will remain valid for 6 months after the day you plan to return from the program. For USA Study Programs only, other acceptable IDs besides a passport include a driver's license, state issued ID, or permanent resident card.
Don't have a passport?
That's ok! Submit a receipt as proof that you have applied for one in lieu of your passport. When you receive your passport, you must upload a copy to your enrollment right away. For more information on getting a passport, please visit the U.S. State Department website at or UC Davis ARC.
All students enrolling in a UC Davis Summer Abroad program must complete the Health Clearance process. You will need to submit the forms indicated below with your enrollment.
If you are planning to complete your clearance through the UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services, you are required to complete one clearance for each program you plan on enrolling in. If you submit two Health-e-Messaging questionnaires within a span of three months, you will not be charged for your second clearance. After three months and/or two programs, you will be charged for additional clearances. If you are planning to go to more than one travel clinic country (see below), you will need to attend one travel clinic appointment for each travel clinic country.
Students are encouraged to seek a health-clearance as soon as they have determined their destination. Follow the instructions below to get this important part of your enrollment underway today!
Health Clearance Instructions
UC Davis Students
Option 1: Online via the UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services
All UC Davis students have the option of using the Student Health and Counseling Services to obtain a health clearance.*
- Click here to see the online steps...
1. Login to the Health-e-Messaging through the Student Health and Counseling Services website using your Login ID and passphrase.
2. Enter your UC Davis student ID number.
3. Click "Messages" on the Health-e-Messaging homepage
4. Click "New Message" near the top of the Messages page.
5. Select “Student Health Services” and click “Continue."
6. Select "Request Clearance for Travel Abroad" and click "Continue."
7. Respond to travel clinic country question and click "Continue."
If yes, answer if you've completed a travel clinic appointment in the last 30 days and click "Continue."
If no, continue answering questions below.
8. Select "UC Davis Faculty-led (Summer Abroad, Quarter Abroad, Seminars Abroad)" and click "Continue."
9. Follow the instructions to complete the remainder of the Health History Questionnaire.
10. Follow the instructions below based on the country you will be traveling to (Non-Travel Clinic OR Travel Clinic):
If you are traveling to a Travel Clinic Country [Argentina, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Chile, China (does not include Hong Kong or Taiwan), Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Ghana, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Japan, Jordan, Mexico, Morocco, Nepal, Nicaragua, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam]:
If you are traveling to a Non-Travel Clinic Country
You will receive an email informing you that the Health Center will contact you to schedule an in-person Travel Clinic Appointment. Print this email to PDF and upload it to your account in lieu of your Health Clearance. Note: You will be required to submit your final Health Clearance after your in-person appointment.
Within two weeks of submitting your Health History Questionnaire you will receive an email via Health e Messaging confirming that your information has been reviewed and you have been cleared for travel abroad. Print to PDF the entire email, including your completed Health History Questionnaire, and upload it to your enrollment.
*If you waived Davis SHIP insurance by providing proof of private health insurance, you will be charged the full cost of any recommended vaccinations or travel medications – and should therefore seek these services from your primary care physician.
- Instructions for Health Clearance Upload from UC Davis “Health-e-Messaging”
1. View your Health Clearance (the SECOND email you receive*)
2. Click inside the text box and select all the text, including the Health History Questionnaire answers
3. Copy and paste the selected text into a Word document
4. Save the Word document as a PDF by selecting "Save As"
5. Select a location to save your health clearance
6. For "File name" enter the following this pattern: “Last name_First Name_HealthClearance”
7. For "Save as type" select "PDF" from the dropdown option
8. Click “Save”
9. Upload your Health Clearance to your enrollment
*If you are traveling to a Travel Clinic Country, please upload the first email you receive which is proof that you have started the Travel Clinic process and will be going to a travel clinic appointment. After you attend your Travel Clinic appointment, you will receive another email from the health center that you must upload no later than the deadline specified in your enrollment.
Pick up a hard copy of your health clearance from the Student Health and Wellness Center located on La Rue Road between Hutchison Drive and Orchard Road, across the street from the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC) and next to the Colleges at La Rue. Next, scan the health clearance, save the health clearance as a PDF, and upload the PDF to your enrollment.
Option 2: Paper copy via Private Physician
If you are a UC Davis student with private health insurance (i.e. you submitted a Davis SHIP waiver and receive health insurance from a private health care provider), you may choose to see your physician to complete the Health Clearance Forms. To do this, see instructions for Non-UC Davis students below.
Paper Copy via Private Physician or non-Davis Campus Health Center
You may see your private physician or your campus health clinic to complete the Health Clearance process. In order to do this, please download and print the Health Clearance Form. Complete this form and take it with you to your appointment. Your doctor will review the information with you, talk to you about travel health issues, provide you with the required immunizations for your destination and clear you for travel abroad by signing the last page of the Health Clearance Form. It is your responsibility to submit this form with your enrollment.
For information on immunization requirements, please click here.