Exercise and Wellness in the Czech Republic
Prague and Olomouc, Czech Republic
Arrive Date: July 1, 2019 End Date: July 31, 2019
This program explores physical activity and wellness in the Czech Republic. We will examine how the Czech people integrate physical activity into their daily lives and how exercise science is taught at two leading universities with extensive exercise and sport science facilities. While located in Prague, we will do field trips in cardiac rehab programs, physical therapy clinics, corporate and commercial health clubs, and community sport clubs. After a stay in the stunning countryside, we will conclude the program at Palacký University in Olomouc (the Czech Republic’s sixth largest city), where we will learn from exercise science faculty, researchers, and practitioners. Additional trips will include exercise science research labs, professional sport clubs, medicinal spas, national parks, a 1200-bed physical therapy hospital, and a university-sponsored summer camp.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 24
Program Coordinator: Sarah Wiens
Exercise Biology (EXB) 189. International Perspectives in Exercise Biology (4 units)
Exercise Biology (EXB) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
Prerequisites: Summer Abroad will be enforcing prerequisites for this program. See Courses.
- Compare and contrast physical activity, health, and wellness choices between Europeans and Americans.
- See and understand how a culture’s physical activity and wellness choices influence health and disease.
- Experience the culture, food, and lifestyle of a former Soviet Block nation currently in the EU.
- Highly physically active trip with lots of outdoor opportunities to interact with the Czech people.
- Bio Sci 2A on the Emerald Isle (Ireland)
- Bio Sci 2B in Dublin (Ireland)
- Neurobiology in Romania (Romania)
- Bio Sci Statistics in Cork (Ireland)
- Thailand – Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles (Thailand)
- Other Programs in Exercise Biology
- Other Programs in Europe