Nepal—Community, Technology, and Sustainability
Arrive Date: December 16, 2019 End Date: January 2, 2020
Program Dates in Fall Quarter: Weekly Seminar TBD
Experience an intensive immersion in Nepal’s exciting social, cultural, physical, technological and ecological change. Pursue international, intercultural, community-engaged learning and action research in collaboration with Nepali students and young professionals. UC Davis students will work in interdisciplinary groups with Nepalese peers on projects related to local and regional development, sustainable agriculture, water resources, disaster reconstruction, food and nutrition, education, public health, democratic governance, youth participation, ICT use, and social entrepreneurship. Alongside visiting diverse cultural sites in the vibrant cities of Kathmandu and Pokhara and nearby villages, participants will, (1) gain an appreciation of the complex geographic, historical, cultural, religious, political, and environmental dimensions of Nepal, (2) develop interdisciplinary field research skills, (3) apply academic training to hands-on projects to benefit local communities, and (4) build skills, knowledge and relationships to pursue future international and intercultural collaborations.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 15
Program Coordinator: Ashley Arvanites
Community and Regional Development (CRD) 153A. International Community Development: Asia (4 units)
Community and Regional Development (CRD) 198. Directed Group Study (2 units)
- Get to know Nepalese peers.
- Experience Nepal’s cultural and environmental wealth and beauty.
- Learn about complex social and environmental challenges through interdisciplinary, collaborative projects.
- Develop resume-building international and intercultural collaboration skills.
- Make a positive difference in the world.
- Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe (Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland)
- Housing and Community Development in Barcelona (Spain)
- Mexico—Literary and Social Movements in Chiapas (Mexico)
- Environmental Justice in Indigenous Ecuador (Ecuador)
- Costa Rica: Ag Science and Sustainability (Costa Rica)
- Other Programs in Community and Regional Development