- Orientation and Welcome Week
- Research and Internship Opportunities
- Study Abroad Advisory of Student Risk
- About Germany
- Weather and Climate
- Research Your Destination
Students on this program will be responsible for organizing their own accommodation. Like Davis, Aachen is an exceedingly popular college town with student numbers always increasing. This means that the numbers of people looking for a place to live are also very high. Whether you are looking for a room in a dorm, sharing an apartment, or an apartment just for you, you need to start looking for a place early on.
RWTH Aachen does not own or manage any dorms and thus cannot provide nor guarantee you housing. The staff at the International Office can provide you with an overview of the housing options and information about housing providers.
Here are a few apartment hunting:
- Begin your housing search at least three months before you arrive. Use the housing resources listed on the RWTH Aachen Accommodation page. When searching for an apartment, you can apply to both the private apartment market or to the Studierendenwerk dorms.
- Be flexible about the location of your housing, and consider the outer districts of Aachen and surrounding in order to increase your chances of finding a room or apartment. Please note that if you are not a citizen of the EU, the conditions of your visa may not allow you to live outside of Germany.
- Reserve a room in a hostel or guesthouse for your first few days or weeks in Aachen to ensure you have short-term housing and can continue to look for permanent housing once you are here.
There are many food options on campus and in the surrounding town. Daily dining hall menus are available online for students to check out.
RWTH Aachen University organizes a variety of activities and events to guide exchange students through the first steps in Aachen and help with university integration. Activities may include:
- Check in and registration
- University services fair
- Campus tours
- Intercultural training
- Immigration presentations
- Student organization fair and presentations
There are many opportunities for visiting students to get involved with research projects or internships during their time at RWTH Aachen University. Many of these opportunities are ongoing and take place year round. Although the university provides resources for opportunities at RWTH Aachen University and at external organizations, students are responsible for making their own research or internship arrangements. Check out the links below for more information:
- Ongoing research projects at the Institute for Technical Thermodynamics (LTT) at RWTH Aachen University
- List of current research topics at other Institutes at RWTH Aachen University
- Aachen Chamber of Industry and Commerce IHK local company database
Participation in this UC Davis Study Abroad program requires travel to and extended living in a foreign location(s) abroad. UC Davis Study Abroad endeavors to reduce and mitigate risk wherever possible. However, the environments and risks associated with living in these locations are substantially different than those found during a regular course of study at UC Davis. All participants must download and review the following information prior to departure. Any questions should be directed to the Program Coordinator.
Aachen is a spa and border city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Aachen developed from a Roman settlement and spa, subsequently becoming the preferred medieval Imperial residence of Charlemagne, and, from 936 to 1531, the place where 31 Holy Roman Emperors were crowned Kings of the Germans.
Aachen is the westernmost city in Germany, located near the borders with Belgium and the Netherlands, 38 miles west south west of Cologne in a former coal-mining area. Aachen's industries include science, engineering and information technology. In 2009, Aachen was ranked eighth for innovation among cities in Germany. Source: Wikipedia
Currency: Euro (EUR)
Language Spoken: German, English
Weather between April and September may vary from 45°F–65°F. July is the hottest month in Aachen with an average temperature of 63°F.
Weather Forecast: Aachen