Virtual – Education and Social Change (Chile)
On this UC Davis Virtual Summer Internship Program, you can:
- Earn 6 quarter units in 6 weeks.
- Enroll in UC Davis courses to fulfill degree, major, minor, or GE requirements as listed in the General Catalog.
- Earn academic credit while gaining valuable work experience.
Note to Non-UC Davis Students:
- Students from other campuses should consult with their home campus to determine whether courses may be used to fulfill their specific academic requirements.
- Semester students who will apply for Summer Financial Aid can get additional units to meet unit minimums for financial aid eligibility. Please contact Summer Abroad for additional information.
The above syllabus is representative of this program. SIT Study Abroad will oversee the internships and teach the seminar portion of the program. A term-specific program syllabus is provided to enrolled students. The program syllabus and schedule are subject to change at the discretion of the program.
You will enroll in the course set below. Expand the sections to view course descriptions. Auditing is not an option. UC Davis programs are academic programs so participants should expect a substantial amount of course work.
- Education Abroad (EAP) 192. Internship (4 units, Pass/No Pass Grading Only)
- Students will intern 24 hours per week at their program site and will be able to apply for transcript notation through the UC Davis Internship and Career Center. May be repeated up to 12 unit(s).
- University Writing Program (UWP) 198. Directed Group Study (2 units, Pass/No Pass Grading Only)
This 2-unit online course is intended as a forum to connect the work students do at their internship to its broader social and cultural context. Through online discussions, students will have a community with whom to share their reflections and observations about their internship placements and to explore the realities and ethics of humanitarian action. Students are often asked to write reflective pieces. Assignments and topics vary by program. May be repeated up to 10 unit(s). GE credit: AH, WE.
Along with the general eligibility requirements, Study Abroad will be enforcing the completion of the following prerequisites. For non-UC Davis students, the equivalent at your campus.
Completion of Spanish (SPA) 3 or equivalent before program start. This prerequisite can only be waived by individualized consent from the program coordinator; please contact the program coordinator if you wish to discuss this option. Though an internship placement may be offered in English or Spanish, you may be working with people and populations who do not speak English.
- SPA 003 – Elementary Spanish (5) – Lecture/Discussion – 5 hour(s).
- Prerequisite(s): SPA 002 or SPA 002S or SPA 002V or SPA 002Y. Completion of grammar sequence and continuing practice of all language skills using cultural texts. Not open for credit for students who have completed equivalent SPA 003A, SPA 003V or SPA 003Y. GE credit: AH, WC.
Please note that you will be required to submit proof of prerequisites waived when submitting your enrollment. Failure to complete unwaived prerequisites prior to program departure can result in administrative withdrawal and fees owed accordingly.