Equine Welfare and Management in Poland
Immerse yourself in Polish culture and cuisine, visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and learn about the ways in which housing and management influence the behavior and welfare of horses. Spend your days among horses on a hill top pasture in the picturesque Carpathian Mountain region, and the areas surrounding the cities of Rzeszow and Cracow. Attend classes in traditional stables, national parks, as well as modern university facilities. In addition to offering a unique international experience, this course will provide students with, (1) a background in animal welfare science and principles underlying animal welfare assessment; (2) an understanding of the ways in which policies, facility objectives, and breed-specific needs impact management decisions and equine welfare; and (3) the ability to objectively evaluate, compare, and articulate the welfare state of horses of different breeds, in different facilities.
- Experience Poland’s urban and country scenery.
- Learn about traditional and local horse breeds and management practices.
- Learn science-driven animal welfare evaluation strategies.
- Engage in collaborative hands-on learning projects.
- Develop intercultural communication skills.
What Students Are Saying
- “Maja was incredibly kind, knowledgeable of the culture and the subject, and helpful in every way. She communicated well and got us thinking in different ways so we could expand our welfare knowledge.”
- “This program was one of the best experiences of my life.”
- “Definitely a fun and meaningful trip! Would 100% join/visit again.”
- “Professor Makagon was amazing and I feel so lucky to have been a part of her program. She was great at both navigating students in the classroom & in the field."
- “She taught us so much and was so dedicated to us/the program. She was our instructor, but also our second mother & adventure buddy and I am so thankful.”
- Wildlife, Conservation and Veterinary Medicine in Australia (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Tropical Animal Science in Belize (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Marine Research in the Galapagos (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Wildlife, Conservation and Veterinary Medicine in Thailand (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Programs in Animal Science
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities