1. What we need
UC Davis Study Abroad collects or processes Personal Data from you each time you visit our Study Abroad websites, create a Study Abroad profile, complete an enrollment for a Study Abroad program, sign-up for emails, visit our office, or communicate with us in any other way or form. If you are a UC Davis student, UC Davis Study Abroad may also collect or process your Personal Data from the BANNER registration system, UCEAP online database, and OASIS upon activating your Study Abroad profile and/or emailing UC Davis Study Abroad for an advising appointment. UC Davis Study Abroad and its staff is a controller of the Personal Data that you (data subject) provide us. UC Davis Study Abroad’s affiliated partners and providers are processors of the Personal Data you provide us.
Personal data we collect or process from you, on behalf of a controller, may include but is not limited to: full name, student status, finances, financial aid status and other financial information, programs of interest, email address, phone numbers, college campus, student ID, birthdate, major(s), social security number, GPA, class standing, Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) eligibility, gender, transcripts, ethnicity, academic information, citizenship, residency, location, internet browser, authorized users, computer type, grades, minor(s), mailing addresses, gender identity, preferred gender pronouns, lived name, disciplinary clearance, health information, passport information, emergency contact information, driver’s license information, disabilities, t-shirt sizes, food allergies, dietary restrictions, non-food allergies, digital photo, transcript information, travel information, online usernames and passwords, student-athlete status, international student status, transfer student status, scholarship essays, and scholarship information.
2. Why we need it
We need your personal data in order to:
- Manage the marketing of programs related to you, your interests, and majors/college, which is consent-based lawful processing based on your consent given in the Study Abroad Horizons Database, field “Do you agree to the statement of consent?”
- Ensure study abroad eligibility, the submission and review of your enrollment into any Study Abroad program which is both consent-based lawful processing based on your consent given in the Study Abroad Horizons Database, field “Do you agree to the statement of consent?” and contract-based lawful processing based on your agreement to the field “Information Disclosure” in the participant contract of your Study Abroad program.
- Creating program email lists for your specific program, so that your Program Instructor can communicate with your entire class regarding assignments, trips, discussions and provide additional information about other research or scholarship opportunities that may be related to your program. The program listservs are a contract-based lawful processing based on your agreement to the field “Information Disclosure” in the participant contract of your Study Abroad program. There is also a legitimate business need to create these program email lists.
- Coordinate between Study Abroad and its affiliated partners for program purposes such as, but not limited to, advising, housing, flights, accommodations, courses, scholarship awards, financial aid packaging, emergency response, vacations away from program, and clearances to travel/study abroad, which is contract-based lawful processing based on your consent given in the Study Abroad Horizons Database.
- Analyze Study Abroad trends for research purposes, with all personal identifiers removed, which is considered lawful processing as it is a legitimate interest.
3. What we do with it
4. How long we keep it
According to our Data Retention Policy we will keep your personal data for an indefinite period so that we can continue to provide trends and statistics for campus, as well as create participant reports and verification papers. For trends, graphs, and statistics, your data will be anonymized for any statistics and graphs provided, and any personal data will be kept confidential. We will only process your data on an as-needed basis, as determined by data requests. For participant reports and verification papers, we will need to access your record to provide this information. Any personal data held by us for marketing and service update notifications such as email addresses will be kept by us until such time that you notify us that you no longer wish to receive this information.
5. What are your rights?
Should you believe that any of your personal data we hold on you is incorrect or incomplete, or you wish to complain about how we have handled your personal data, you have the ability to request to see this information, rectify it or have it deleted, upon approval by the Controller. Please contact the UC Davis Privacy Officer with your request.
Statement of Consent last updated on: 6/3/2019