Scholarships & Awards
General UC Davis Study Abroad Awards
Program/Major Specific Study Abroad Awards
- Diversity Network Summer Scholarship
- UC Davis International Relations Education Abroad Scholarship
- UC Davis Writing Minor (UWP) International Education Award
- UC Davis American Studies Program International Education Award
- UC Davis Study Abroad & Guardian Scholar Ann E. Pitzer Scholarship
- CAPA Quarter Abroad London & Sydney Scholarships
- CFHI Quarter Abroad Oaxaca, Mexico Scholarships
- CEA Quarter Abroad Italy and France Scholarships
- Bridging Scholarships for QA Japan
- John Wasson Study Abroad Fellowship - for UC Davis Engineers
The Undergraduate and Prestigious Scholarships office provides information, resources, and support services to students for highly competitive, merit-based scholarships and fellowships. There are many prestigious scholarship programs that fund studying abroad, all of which require extensive applications, excellent academics, clear purpose for studying abroad, and strong letters of recommendation. For more information, please visit their website, contact Scott Palmer, the UC Davis Prestigious Scholarship Advisor, or watch his workshop video.
The types of scholarships include:
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program– Student must be: receiving a Federal Pell Grant at time of application; accepted into a credit bearing program; and studying or interning abroad for at least four weeks in one country. If you missed the Gilman Scholarship Information Session with IIE, please listen to the podcast follow along with the PowerPoint. Spring 2016 Applications are due 10/6/2015. Select "Staci Hagen" as the advisor for any UC Davis Summer or Quarter Study Abroad program; select "Tiffany Macias Silva" as the advisor for any UCEAP or Independent program. Congratulations to the 17 UC Davis Gilman Recipients who received a total of $57,5000 to support their summer study abroad or internship program costs!
- David Boren Scholarship– Students must be: a U.S. Citizen; working towards an undergraduate degree throughout the entirety of the scholarship; studying abroad in Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, or the Middle East in a country that is critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad (see list of eligible countries on Boren website); study a foreign language during the study abroad.
- The Fulbright Scholarship– Winners receive funding to research or serve as English Teaching Assistants (ETA’s) for up to 1 year in a foreign country. Specific amounts and length of time vary by country. See website.
- Undergraduate Scholarship Application
- UC Davis Financial Aid and Scholarships external scholarship compilation.
- Watch the following two-part PowerPoint Presentation, "Financial Aid & Scholarships for Study Abroad" with Soula Lo & Rosana Avila. Part 1; Part 2
Additional sources of funding can be sought after through outside public and private organizations. Other options include taking on a part-time job, changing your spending habits, and fundraising. Check out our Prezi presentation for more ideas! Deadlines vary so begin researching these scholarships before applying for a study abroad program.
- Scholarship Listings – Listing of outside scholarships.
- UCEAP additional resources for funding
- Scholarship Search Engines
General UC Davis Study Abroad Awards
Visit the UCEAP Scholarship’s page for full funding details.
September 15, 2015
Over 500 awards, $1,000 for summer or $2,000 for fall, spring, and year terms abroad will be distributed.
- 5:00 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 for Spring 2016
Award decisions will be announced by e-mail before the April 1 (Summer), May 1 (Fall), and November 1 (Spring) withdrawal deadlines.
- Duttenhaver Scholars Program (for year-long programs)
- Dan Wise Memorial Scholarship (year-long program in France)
- Jasmine Jahanshahi Scholarships (semester or year-long programs)
- Undergraduate Research Awards (for those who have conducted research abroad on an EAP program)
Program/Major Specific Study Abroad Awards
The Diversity Network provides several scholarship awards to students enrolled at its member institutions. Students enrolled at a Diversity Network Member institution and planning to study abroad during the summer of 2015 are encouraged to apply for the $500 award. Students must:
- Attend a Diveristy Network member instution (UC Davis is one)
- Have minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA or the equivalent at an accredited university or college.
- Be willing to share their experiences abroad with the DiversityAbroad.com community via blogs (at least once a week), article submission (one or two article required depending on length of study abroad program) and participate in the DiversityAbroad.com Discussion Boards.
Follow this link for application details. If you are non-UCD student applying to a UC Davis Study Abroad Program, make sure to list UC Davis as your institution.
The scholarships are $500-$1,000 per student and multiple scholarships are awarded each year. Applicants must be full time UC Davis International Relations student, be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, and plan to apply or have been selected to an eligible study abroad or unpaid internship abroad program. Applications are accepted during the fall and spring quarters and applications are available at the beginning of those quarters on the IR website. Application & required documentation is due to Katy Pattison in 464 Kerr Hall by 4:00 pm on Friday, December 19th, 2014.
The University Writing Program is pleased to announce its scholarship program for international study. All UWP Writing Minors are welcome to apply. Awards from $500–$1000 are available to be used in conjunction with one of the following UC Davis Study Abroad programs: UC Davis Summer Abroad 2015, UC Davis Quarter Abroad Fall 2015 or Spring 2016, UCEAP Academic Year 2015–16. Applications are due to the UC Davis UWP office - Attn: Aliki Dragona- by 5:00 PM on Monday, March 2, 2015. View the 2015-2016 application.
The American Studies Program is pleased to announce its scholarship program for international study. All AMS Majors and Minors are welcome to apply. Awards from $500–$1000 are available to be used in conjunction with a UC Davis Summer Abroad Program 2015, UC Davis Summer Abroad Internships 2015, UC Davis Quarter Abroad Fall 2015 or Spring 2016, UC Davis Seminars Abroad program, or a UC EAP Academic year 2015-2016. All applications must be emailed to Naomi Ambriz at email@example.com by 5:00 PM on Friday, May 22, 2015. View the 2015 application.
UC Davis Guardian Scholar & UC Davis Study Abroad Ann E. Pitzer Scholarship in International Education
The Guardian Scholars Program and Study Abroad are pleased to annouce the Ann E. Pitzer Scholarship for international study by Guardian Scholars. All Guardian Scholars are welcome to apply; you do not have to qualify for financial aid. Up to $2,000 will be available to be used with a UC Davis Summer Abroad Program 2015, UC Davis Quarter Abroad Fall 2015 or Spring 2016, or a UC EAP Academic year 2015-2016. Applications due date: TBA. View the 2015 application.
CAPA offers three types of scholarships to UC Davis students participating in Quarter Abroad London & Sydney: need based scholarships, merit scholarships, affiliate scholarhips, and access scholarships. Awards range from $300-$5000. Scholarship materials must be completed by May 1, 2015 for Fall 2015 programs (Sydney) and in fall 2015 for Spring 2016 programs. Visit their website for full details the PDF for more information.
Participants on Quarter Abroad Oaxaca can apply for a $1,000 scholarship from CFHI. The award is distributed in two parts: the first before departure; the second after the student returns from the program and submits their required materials including blog, photos, etc. For more information, please see the CFHI Scholarship page. View the Scholarship Application.
Participants on Quarter Abroad Italy are eligible to apply for CEA Scholarships, which range from $1500 to $3000. The deadline is April 15th 2015 for merit and need-based scholarships. Please see the CEA Scholarship page for more details.
Participants on Quarter Abroad Japan are eligible to apply for a $2,500 Bridging Scholarship. The scholarship typically requires a longer term of study, but participation in Quarter Abroad Japan qualifies students to apply. Applicants must mention Kyoto Seika University as the program location on the application. Learn how to apply on the Bridging Scholarships website. Fully completed applications are due by October 8, 2014.
UC Davis students in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science & the UC Davis College of Engineering are eligible to apply. The Fellowship will distribute $7,000 in award money to participate on a program with UC Davis Summer, Quarter, Internships, Seminars, or on the UC Davis Study Abroad Program (UCEAP). The application is due by March 20, 2015 to Eugenia Luu at firstname.lastname@example.org.