Scholarships & Awards
General UC Davis Study Abroad Awards
Program/Major Specific Study Abroad Awards
- Shakespeare—Live! Summer Abroad Award
- Palaces of the Gods Summer Abroad Award
- UC Davis International Relations Education Abroad Scholarship
- UC Davis Writing Minor (UWP) International Education Award
- UC Davis American Studies Program International Education Award
- UC Davis Study Abroad & Guardian Scholar Ann E. Pitzer Scholarship
- CAPA Quarter Abroad London & Sydney Scholarships
- CFHI Quarter Abroad Oaxaca, Mexico Scholarships
- CEA Quarter Abroad Italy and France Scholarships
The Undergraduate and Prestigious Scholarships office provides information, resources, and support services to students for highly competitive, merit-based scholarships and fellowships. There are many prestigious scholarship programs that fund studying abroad, all of which require extensive applications, excellent academics, clear purpose for studying abroad, and strong letters of recommendation. For more information, please visit their website or contact Scott Palmer, the UC Davis Prestigious Scholarship Advisor. The types of scholarships include:
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program – Spring 2015 Application now open! Deadline October 7, 2014. Student must be: receiving a Federal Pell Grant at time of application; accepted into a credit bearing program; and studying or interning abroad for at least four weeks in one country.
- David Boren Scholarship – Students must be: a U.S. Citizen; working towards an undergraduate degree throughout the entirety of the scholarship; studying abroad in Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, or the Middle East in a country that is critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad (see list of eligible countries on Boren website); study a foreign language during the study abroad.
- The Fulbright Scholarship – Winners receive funding to research or serve as English Teaching Assistants (ETA’s) for up to 1 year in a foreign country. Specific amounts and length of time vary by country. See website.
- Undergraduate Scholarship Application
- Scholarship Listings – Compilation of outside scholarships.
- Scholarship Search Engines
- UCEAP additional resources for funding can be sought after through outside public and private organizations. Other options include taking on a part-time job, changing your spending habits, and fundraising.
- Check out our Prezi presentation for more ideas!
Deadlines vary so begin researching these scholarships before applying for a study abroad program.
General UC Davis Study Abroad Awards
UC Davis Quarter Abroad is pleased to announce $20,000 in Study Abroad Awards for enrolled students in UC Davis Fall Quarter Abroad 2014 programs. These awards are supported by a generous gift from Ann Pitzer. Awards will be granted in amounts of $500-$2,000. Application deadline: TBA.
Download application [PDF]
UC Davis Summer Abroad is pleased to announce $80,000 in study abroad awards to participants in UC Davis Summer Abroad 2014 programs. All students enrolled in a UC Davis Summer Abroad program (Davis and Non-Davis) will have the opportunity to apply for an award. Recipients will receive their awards in amounts from $500-$2,000 dollars. Application deadline: March 2015.
Visit the UCEAP Scholarship’s page for full funding details.
- $1 Million Scholarship Initiative -- 2014-2015 Academic Year; Deadline: Open
- Summer will offer 50 awards, Fall quarter, semester, or year will offer 220 awards, and Spring quarter, semester, or year will offer 110 awards.
- Duttenhaver Scholars Program (for year-long programs)
- Dan Wise Memorial Scholarship (year-long program in France)
- Jasmine Jahanshahi Scholarships (semester or year-long programs)
- Undergraduate Research Awards (for those who have conducted research abroad on an EAP program)
Program/Major Specific Study Abroad Awards
There is a special study abroad award available for summer study of Shakespeare in London. One award of $500 will be given to help pay for travel to and from London. All students enrolled in Shakespeare—Live! are welcome to apply. Application Deadline: March 2015. Updated application to come. Download 2014 Application [PDF]
A grant from the Tamil Online Foundation allows us to offer $1000.00 in study abroad awards to participants in Palaces of the Gods. Only UC Davis students enrolled in Palaces of the Gods are eligible to apply. Grants will range from $200.00 to $500.00.
The Tamil Online foundation grant requires the student to undertake a research project while in India. Upon return to the United States, the student agrees to present the research at a conference or a similar public venue, and will acknowledge the support of the Tamil Online Foundation in any resulting publications or presentations. The purpose of the grant is to support Undergraduate research on Tamil literary and cultural history, and to disseminate that research to the wider public.
To apply, please submit an application form (download from the Palaces of the Gods website), a short essay (500 words) about the relevance of your study experience in India to your intellectual development and a short project proposal that includes information about plans to disseminate the research (500 words). Application Deadline: March 2015 to UC Davis Study Abroad
The scholarships are $500 per student and multiple scholarships are awarded each year. Applicants must be full time UC Davis International Relations student, be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, and plan to apply or have been selected to an eligible study abroad or unpaid internship abroad program. Applications are accepted during the fall and spring quarters and applications are available at the beginning of those quarters on the IR website. Information and application questions can be directed to Katy Pattison in 464 Kerr Hall.
The University Writing Program is pleased to announce its scholarship program for international study. All UWP Writing Minors are welcome to apply. Awards from $500–$1000 are available to be used in conjunction with one of the following UC Davis Study Abroad programs: UC Davis Summer Abroad 2015, UC Davis Quarter Abroad Fall 2015 or Spring 2016, UCEAP Academic Year 2015–16. Applications due date: TBA. View the 2014 application.
The American Studies Program is pleased to announce its scholarship program for international study. All AMS Majors and Minors are welcome to apply. Awards from $500–$1000 are available to be used in conjunction with a UC Davis Study Abroad program that begins between June 2013 and October 2014. Applications due date: TBA. View the 2014 application.
UC Davis Guardian Scholar & UC Davis Study Abroad Ann E. Pitzer Scholarship in International Education
The Guardian Scholars Program and Study Abroad are pleased to annouce the Ann E. Pitzer Scholarship for international study by Guardian Scholars. All Guardian Scholars are welcome to apply; you do not have to qualify for financial aid. Up to $2,000 will be available to be used with a UC Davis Summer Abroad Program 2015, UC Davis Quarter Abroad Fall 2015 or Spring 2016, or a UC EAP Academic year 2014-2015. Applications due date: TBA. View the 2014 application.
CAPA offers three types of scholarships to UC Davis students participating in Quarter Abroad London & Sydney: need based scholarships, merit scholarships, and access scholarships. Awards range from $500-$2500. Scholarship materials must be completed by May 1, 2014 for Fall 2014 programs (Sydney) and by October 1, 2014 for Spring 2015 programs (London). Visit their website for full details the PDF for more information.
Participants on Quarter Abroad Oaxaca can apply for a $1,000 scholarship from CFHI. The award is distributed in two parts: the first before departure; the second after the student returns from the program and submits their required materials including blog, photos, etc. For more information, please see the CFHI Scholarship page. View the Scholarship Application.
Participants on Quarter Abroad Italy and France are eligible to apply for CEA Scholarships, which range from $1500 to $3000. The deadline is April 15th for merit and need-based scholarships. Quarter Abroad France participants are also eligible to apply for the Chris Towns Memorial Scholarship. Please see the CEA Scholarship page for more details.