UC Davis Summer Abroad
Status: Scheduled for 2017
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Arrive Date: June 24, 2017 End Date: July 21, 2017
The supernatural figures largely in Scotland’s literature and culture. Scottish ballads are filled with stories of strange creatures and weird doings. Scottish castles are filled with ghosts and spirits. Witches wander through Shakespeare’s Macbeth and the poetry of Robert Burns. There is a Scottish Frankenstein. Jekyll becomes Hyde. And the devil lurks everywhere. Scottish Tales will study the literature, films, and culture of Scotland, examining its supernatural component from the earliest ballads to contemporary cinema. Set in Edinburgh, one of Europe’s most beautiful cities, the program will include visits to castles, tours of the city, a ghost walk at night, a magic show, and a field trip to Glasgow. We’ll also spend two nights in the Scottish Highlands and take a cruise on Loch Ness, where rumor has it a creature lurks.
Instructor: David Masiel
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Greg Gundersen
English (ENL) 163. Topics in British Literature and Culture (4 units)
English (ENL) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- The housing for this program is located in close to many of Edinburgh’s most famous attractions—the castle, the Royal Mile, and the New Town.
- Edinburgh is very easy to get around in and has lots of great museums, galleries, restaurants, and cafes.
- The reading and film for this course are fun; you’ll also really like the various guest speakers
- Field trips include an overnight stay in the Scottish Highlands and a day trip to Glasgow.
Other Programs in English
- Celtic Connections (Ireland, France, and Spain)
- Chiapas—Literary and Social Movements (Mexico)
- Americans In Paris (France)
- Oxford—Portal to Fantasy (UK-Oxford)
- Travelers in Greece (Greece)