UC Davis Summer Abroad
Status: Full—Waitlist Closed
Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles
Arrive Date: June 30, 2017 End Date: July 29, 2017
This laboratory program will introduce microbiology to students wishing to explore the enchanting and exotic Kingdom of Thailand. Hands-on activities will complement lecture and laboratory exercises as we explore the microbiology of Thai food, international health issues, and the changing environment. Students will explore microbial diversity from samples they obtain from a variety of places, ranging from open-air night markets and urban canals to pristine jungles and beaches. Excursions will take us through urban and rural locations to examine microbiology at the crossroads of public health, food safety, and the environment. We will travel to Bangkok, to the United Nation’s World Heritage Historic City of Ayutthaya and to several islands in the Andaman Sea. This program will be hosted at Assumption University, which is among Southeast Asia’s top comprehensive international universities.
Instructor: Glenn Young
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Kendall Quisenberry
A short film by program alum, The Journey of Max
Microbiology (MIC) 102. Introductory Microbiology (3 units)
Microbiology (MIC) 103L. Introductory Microbiology Laboratory (2 units)
Microbiology (MIC) 198. Directed Group Study of Microbiology (3 units, P/NP)
Food Science and Technology (FST) 104L. Food Microbiology Laboratory (4 units)
Food Science and Technology (FST) 198. Directed Group Study of Food Science (4 units, P/NP)
Prerequisite Note: This program will be enforcing prerequisites. See Academics for details.
- Get class credits for a Life Science laboratory that involves exploring tropical jungles, pristine beaches, exotic markets, and the mega-city of Bangkok.
- Participate in experiences focused on understanding how humans impact the microbiology on food, human health, and the environment.
- Meet like-minded students, sample fantastic food, experience exotic cultural activities, visit mystical temples and grand palaces, enjoy walking on tropical beaches, and swimming among world-famous underwater reefs.
- Be creative to participate in research or service projects to experience Thai culture, Asian Pop culture or contribute to public health, food production or community development.
- Life Sciences (Japan)
- Genetics—The Global Language of Biology (UK, Sweden)
- Bio Sci 2A on the Emerald Isle (Ireland)
- Ecological and Social Issues at Lake Atitlan (Guatemala)
- SA Internships: Global Health (Multiple Countries)