UC Davis Summer Abroad
Status: Not Offered in 2017
South Africa—City to Safari
Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Edeni Game Reserve, South Africa
Arrive Date: June 21, 2016 End Date: July 19, 2016
This program introduces students to the literature, history, cinema, and ecology of South Africa. We will study the phases of the country’s past: its pre-European history, colonial settlement, the apartheid and post-apartheid eras, reading books by Nobel prize winners Nadine Gordimer, J. M. Coetzee, and Nelson Mandela. While in Cape Town we will visit museums, places of historical interest, and botanical parks and nature reserves. Next we spend one day in Johannesburg where we visit the Apartheid Museum. The last week takes place at Edeni Bush Lodge, a private game reserve bordering Kruger National Park, where we will observe plants, birds, and mammals in their natural habitats, including many species of antelope, giraffes, cheetahs, zebras, and South Africa’s Big Five—lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros, and buffalo. A great program for students who love adventure.
Instructor: Eric Schroeder
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 24
Program Coordinator: Greg Gundersen
Info Session Presentation
English (ENL) 139. Topics in Global Literatures and Cultures (4 units)
English (ENL) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
African American Studies (AAS) 157. Literature and Society in South Africa (4 units)
African American Studies (AAS) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Study South African history and nature in the amazing waterfront city of Cape Town and on safari at Edeni and Kruger National Park.
- Experience Cape Town, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
- Read literature by three Nobel-prize-winning authors.
- Enjoy tours led by local ecologists and South African experts in Cape Town and Edeni.
- See elephants, rhinoceroses, buffalos, giraffes, zebras, lions, cheetahs, and leopards! (check out the Mammal List [PDF].
- Travelers in Greece (Greece)
- Buenos Aires—Music, Film and Culture in the Global City (Argentina)
- Culture and Development in an African Nation (Ghana)