Status: Scheduled for 2017
World Cinema and the European Film Festival
Berlin, Germany; Locarno, Switzerland
Arrive Date: July 18, 2017 End Date: August 15, 2017
Based in Berlin, one of Europe's most exciting cities, this program examines contemporary cinema by considering the role of film festivals in producing and distributing films globally. Key highlight is the Locarno Film Festival, an A-level festival in the lovely lake region of southern Switzerland/northern Italy (near Lake Como). Perched between Cannes (in spring) and Venice (in fall), Locarno's is the most important festival of the summer. Beginning in Berlin, home to one of Europe's most important studios, and then moving to Locarno, the class considers national film making in relation to transnational festivals. Includes many contemporary directors with reputations established at festivals, including Almodovar (Talk to Her), Haneke (Hidden), Wong Kar Wai (Chungking Express), Maren Ade (Everybody Else), and von Trier (Dogville). After the festival we tour Milan, Italy.
Instructor: Jaimey Fisher
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Greg Gundersen
Info Session Presentation
Film Studies 125. Topics in Film Genres (4 units)
Film Studies 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
German 119. From German Fiction to German Film (4 units)
German 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Attend, as a full participant, an entire A-level film festival in the Italian-Swiss Lake region (near lake Como/Bellagio/Milan).
- Stay and study in one of the most exciting cities in the world (and, in many ways, now the de facto capital of Europe) Berlin, Germany.
- Tour sites associated with the world’s most famous film festival—the Berlin film festival.
- Accommodations in Locarno—easy walking distance from film-festival venues.
- Visit Swiss mountain peaks, take a ferry on Swiss mountain lake, visit Switzerland’s third largest banking city, Lugano, and Milan, one of Italy’s biggest and most dynamic cities.
- Buenos Aires—Music, Film and Culture in the Global City (Argentina)
- Literature and Film (Taiwan)
- Performing Arts—Live! (France)