UC Davis Summer Abroad
Status: Confirmed—Limited Space Available!
Design in Europe
York, United Kingdom; London, United Kingdom; Utrecht, Netherlands
Arrive Date: July 1, 2017 End Date: July 29, 2017
Britain and the Netherlands are two European countries that are unsurpassed when it comes to innovative and influential art, architecture and design. Starting in the ancient English city of York, this program will travel to the vibrant creative capital London, and then to the Dutch cities of Utrecht and Amsterdam where design truly infiltrates everyday life. These cities represent a cultural and historical “design slice” through the heart of Northern Europe. Creative projects will focus on the design of multi-sensory experiences for cultural, commercial and public spaces, and the evolution of European design expression and the international style.
Excursions include visiting famous design sites and professional design studios, and experiencing total design immersion at the Victoria & Albert Museum, London’s Design Museum, the Stedelijk Museum, and the Rietveld Schröder House.
Instructor: Tim McNeil
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 32
Program Coordinator: Jennifer Moylan
Design (DES) 187. Narrative Environments (4 units)
Design (DES) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Experience living in the heart of three amazing European cities: York, London, and Utrecht.
- Participate in behind-the-scenes visits to world-class design related museums and cultural attractions.
- Enjoy organized excursions to the vibrant cities of Leeds, Whitby, Newcastle, and Amsterdam.
- Work on creative projects and meet with leading professional designers in their studios.
- Study and make friends at other design schools including London's prestigious Central St. Martins.
- Spanish Art (Spain)
- Art Studio in Paris and the French Riviera (France)
- Fashion Marketing in Paris (France)