UC Davis Summer Abroad
Status: Full—Waitlist Open
Life Sciences in Japan
Kusatsu (near Kyoto), Japan
Arrive Date: June 25, 2017 End Date: July 21, 2017
Study biochemistry while living in Japan! We will stay at Ritsumeikan University, Kusatsu. Kusatsu is 20 minutes from Kyoto, giving students many opportunities to explore one of the world's most treasured cities (UNESCO World Heritage Site). With ample free time, students can visit Osaka or Tokyo, shop, delve into manga, dine in foodie heaven, or relax in an Onsen town. Class excursions to aquariums, science museums, botanical gardens, or fermentation facilities producing beverages or foods, show how Japan presents science-related topics to the public. Excursions also include visiting some of Kyoto’s most famous and beautiful historic sites such as Fushimi Inari and Ryoanji. Students will broaden their intercultural experience by meeting with Ritsumeikan students who also study life sciences and share similar career goals.
Instructor: Larry Morand
Taught In: English
Max Enrollment: 31
Program Coordinator: Kendall Quisenberry
Biological Sciences (BIS) 102. Structure & Function of Biomolecules (3 units)
Biological Sciences (BIS) 198. Life Sciences in Japan: Directed Group Study (5 units, P/NP)
Prerequisite Note: Summer Abroad will be enforcing prerequisites for this program. For more information, see Academics.
- Live, study, and make friends at Ritsumeikan University.
- Take in the natural beauty and meet the kind people of Japan.
- Experience the wonders of Kyoto: historic sites and modern life.
- Personal travel possibilities to Nara, Osaka, Kobe, Nagoya, Mt Fuji, Tokyo, or elsewhere.
- Enjoy the food: ramen, yakitori, okonomiyaki, sushi, & many other delights.
- Genetics—The Global Language of Biology (UK, Sweden)
- Bio Sci 2A on the Emerald Isle (Ireland)
- Microbiology Laboratory in the Kingdom of Smiles (Thailand)
- SA Internships: Global Health (Multiple Locations)