UC Davis Summer Abroad
Status: Cancelled for 2017
Palaces of the Gods — South India
Arrive Date: August 12, 2017 End Date: September 11, 2017
This program examines the rich textual and visual cultures of India with a specific focus on South India. Students will stay in the French colonial sea-side city of Pondicherry, the home of a cosmopolitan and international population. As India can be overwhelming for the first time visitor, Pondicherry presents a happy medium, a fact reflected in the city’s urban planning. The French Quarter is European in architecture and urban design, while the Tamil Quarter, like most Indian cities, is busy, crowded, and noisy. Activities include several field trips to some of the most important and earliest archaeological sites in South India. Many of these monuments are UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Instructor: Archana Venkatesan
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 20
Program Coordinator: Sarah Wiens
Info Session Presentation
Comparative Literature (COM) 180S. Selected Topics in Comparative Literature (4 units)
Comparative Literature (COM) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units). P/NP grading only.
Religious Studies (RST) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units). P/NP grading only.
- Visit some of the greatest world monuments, including the seventh century Penance Relief and the 1000 year old Great Temple.
- Learn about love poetry, sculpture, and bronze casting in India.
- Enjoy the fabulous fusion French-Indian cuisine of Pondicherry.
- Sixty five rupees to the dollar
- Narratives of Resistance (Cuba)
- Travelers in Greece (Greece)
- Literature and Film (Taiwan)
- Urban to Outback (Australia)