UC Davis Summer Abroad
Earthquake Hazards Mitigation in Japan
The program will provide historical perspectives of earthquake hazards in Japan and basic understandings of the variety of strategies used to mitigate such hazards. The Japanese are widely viewed as innovators and leaders in earthquake resistant design. Field trips within the Tokyo Metropolitan area will highlight both traditional and present-day approaches for ensuring the safety and serviceability of buildings, bridges, and other elements of the built environment...
UC Davis Summer Abroad programs offer students short, intensive academic courses that are complemented with a wealth of excursions and cultural activities. All of our programs are built around UC Davis courses and are led by UC Davis faculty. Many provide opportunities for students to visit non-English speaking countries while doing their coursework in English. Class sizes are small — 18-30 students — allowing for an intimate learning experience. UC Davis Summer Abroad is open to all University of California students and students from other US institutions. Create a Study Abroad Account! Related: Summer Abroad Internships.
- Australia, "Urban to Outback"
- China, "A Taste of China"
- Japan, "Life Sciences in Japan"
- Japan, "Earthquake Hazards Mitigation in Japan"
- South Korea, "Sustainable Energy Technologies"
- Taiwan, "Literature and Film"
- Thailand, "Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles"
- Austria, "Vienna— Crossroads of Central Europe"
- Czech Republic, "Exercise & Wellness"
- France, "Introduction to Winemaking"
- France, "Americans in Paris"
- France, "Art Studio in Paris and the French Riviera"
- France, "Fashion Marketing in Paris"
- Greece, "Travelers in Greece"
- Iceland, "Thermodynamics in the Land of Fire and Ice"
- Italy, "Engineering of Roman Construction"
- Italy, "Italian Culture and Institutions"
- Italy, "Renaissance Italy and the Birth of Modern Europe"
- Spain, "Housing and Urbanism in Barcelona"
- Spain, "Spanish Art"
- Switzerland, "The Politics of Global Inequality"
- United Kingdom, "At the Crossroads of Gender and Communication"
- United Kingdom, "Design in Britain — Inside and Outside Museum Walls"
- United Kingdom, "Oxford — Portal to Fantasy"
- United Kingdom, "Scottish Tales"
- United Kingdom, "Shakespeare — Live!"
- Austria, UK "Genetics—From Mendel to Genomes"
- UK, Sweden "Genetics—The Global Language of Biology"
- France, Switzerland, "World Cinema and the European Film Festival"
- Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, "Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe"
- Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, "Celtic Connections"
- UK, France, Italy, "The Grand Tour"
- Argentina, "Buenos Aires — Music, Film and Culture in the Global City"
- Chile, "Human Rights and Democracy in Chile"
- Cuba, "Narratives of Resistance"
- Ecuador, "Sustainable Ecuador — From the Andes to the Amazon"
- Guatemala, "Ecological and Social Issues at Lake Atitlan, Guatemala"
- Mexico, "Chiapas—Literary and Social Movements"
- Peru, "History of the Andean Region"