UC Davis Summer Abroad
Status: Confirmed and Open
France—Performing Arts Live!
Aix en Provence, France
Arrive Date: June 24, 2017 End Date: July 22, 2017
Under the guidance of UC Davis professor and composer Pablo Ortiz, you will attend a variety of live events within the Aix en Provence Performing Arts Festival, including opera, ballet, and concerts. In addition to attending performances and rehearsals, you will learn about the behind-the-scenes work of set design, stage management, and other production elements that contribute to the experience of a live event. In an increasingly digitalized world, this program is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to study and appreciate the creativity and intimacy of live music and dance, while savoring the exquisite food and landscape of the South of France.
Instructor: Pablo Ortiz
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 20
Program Coordinator: Jennifer Moylan
Music (MUS) 121. Topics in Music Scholarship (4 units)
Music (MUS) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Attend the world famous Aix en Provence Festival.
- Enjoy two opera performances with pre-performance lectures.
- Attend Ballet Preljocaj rehearsals and productions.
- Participate in a field trip to Marseille.
- Enjoy and learn about French culture and cuisine.
- Art Studio in Paris and the French Riviera (France)
- Spanish Art (Spain)
- Buenos Aires—Music, Film and Culture in the Global City (Argentina)
- World Cinema and the European Film Festival (Germany, Switzerland)
- Design in Europe (UK, Netherlands)