UC Davis Summer Abroad
Status: Not Offered in 2017
A Taste of China
Wuxi, Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Nanjing, and Yangzhou, China
Arrive Date: June 15, 2016 End Date: July 14, 2016
Jiangnan is the region in the lower reaches of the Yangtze River, which means “delicately beautiful” in Chinese. A highly developed area, Jiangnan is associated with delicious food as well as beautiful historic sites. Our field trips will explore the Ming tomb and city walls in Nanjing; the Humble Administrator’s Garden of Suzhou; Hangzhou and its tea culture; the night life and shopping experiences of modern Shanghai; the Lingshan Grand Buddha of Wuxi and its Tai and Li lakes; and enjoy the famous breakfast of Yangzhou at Slender West Lake. While staying at Jiangnan University, Wuxi, we will study the food and beverage cultures of China. Local professors will present several lectures on Chinese history and culture.
Instructor: Charles Shoemaker
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 24
Program Coordinator: Greg Gundersen
Food Science and Technology (FST) 10. Food Science, Folklore, and Health (3 units)
Food Science and Technology (FST) 198. Directed Group Study (5 units, P/NP)
- You will stay on a Chinese university campus and meet and be guided by university students.
- Explore China’s ancient history through gardens, ancient cities, shopping, and its food and beverage culture.
- Eat classic Chinese cuisine in the regions where it was invented.
- Introduction to Winemaking (France)
- Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles (Thailand)
- Taiwan Through Literature and Film (Taiwan)
- Brewing Science (UK)