Summer Abroad Global Health Internships
Status: Closed for 2017
South Africa — Hospital Medicine & Infectious Disease in Durban
Durban, South Africa
Arrive Date: August 5, 2017 End Date: September 9, 2017
The Global Health Summer Abroad Internship program provides students interested in health the opportunity to gain first hand clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
Based in Durban, in a dynamic metropolitan area of over 3 million people and the heartland of Zulu culture, this program will allow students to learn more hospital medicine and infectious disease, Students will join local healthcare teams at a missionary hospital providing services and treatment for HIV/AIDS patients and a large tertiary teaching hospital in Durban in the Surgical and Pediatric wards. Program participants will interact with local medical residents and learn about medical education in South Africa. Additionally, students will understand the role that non-profits play in the epidemic by rotating at a state-of-the-art, comprehensive care center for people living and affected by HIV/AIDS. This NGO offers ARV’s psycho-social support, substance abuse program, nutrition education and meal services.
See On Location for more information about Clinical Rotations. Program provided by Child Family Health International (CFHI), a NGO recognized by the United Nations.
Orientation Week Sample Schedule
- Tour of clinics and hospitals where students will be rotating
- Double Decker Durban City Tour Visit to valley of a thousand hills, includes visit to a traditional Zulu village where students can witness traditional Zulu dance and learn more about ancient rites.
- Full day Safari
- Cat Rehab Center: An up close and personal tour to learn more about South Africa’s endangered wildcat species
- Hippo & Croc Boat Cruise safari in St. Lucia to observe hippos, Nile crocodiles and hundreds of bird species.
- Umlazi Township, including a visit to orphanage that takes care of children who were orphaned as a result of the parents dying from HIV/AIDS
- Orientation Dinner
Instructor: Dale Flynn
Max Enrollment: 10
Taught in: English (course taught remotely)
Program Coordinator: Brianne Holden
Info Session Presentation
Education Abroad (EAP) 192. Internship (4 units)
University Writing Program (UWP) 198. Writing for Internships: Global Health (2 units)